Zuzah

Sergeant Major
o9umA.jpg

HO1NI.jpg

MbXRx.jpg

dzY6h.jpg

vzqc6.jpg

vzqc6.jpg

Interesting. This is (if my memory serves me well) the first time I have seen a coat reversed (proper term?). Notice the overlapped piece comes from the left side. Intriguing. Thanks Zuzah!

vzqc6.jpg

Interesting. This is (if my memory serves me well) the first time I have seen a coat reversed (proper term?). Notice the overlapped piece comes from the left side. Intriguing. Thanks Zuzah!
Most definitely it was reversed by a tintype, but it could on a very rare whim be reversed, who knows?

Are there any times noted on these?It would be great to have an idea as to the chronology of these.I can assume that the full figure standing one is probebly early war,but the rest?,It would be nice to know thier time-frames.I beliwve my favorite is the lapel frock coat.That is one I am not too familiar with.Another great gentleman that made up that wonderful cast of characters that was the ANVa.Thanks for the post.

Sorry.Shameless self-promotion.just wanted to chuck my favorite painted version of Gen Longstreet from a work in progress that I cal "August Lightening".In case you couldnt figure it out ,he is the guy on the left,hehe.Thanks again for this post,it made me think about digging this picture out and finishing it.I have in mind to paint this great character at Chickamauga,if anyone has any neat scenarios that they could suggest?..........diane?........
Wow,between the war and post-war,Longstreet was one photographed guy.I wonder how many he actually wanted to sit for and how many he was begged into sitting for.

Sorry.Shameless self-promotion.just wanted to chuck my favorite painted version of Gen Longstreet from a work in progress that I cal "August Lightening".In case you couldnt figure it out ,he is the guy on the left,hehe.Thanks again for this post,it made me think about digging this picture out and finishing it.I have in mind to paint this great character at Chickamauga,if anyone has any neat scenarios that they could suggest?..........diane?........
Wow,between the war and post-war,Longstreet was one photographed guy.I wonder how many he actually wanted to sit for and how many he was begged into sitting for.
I've only seen about 6 images of him in uniform, and they were all in painfully low resolution. It wasn't hard to pick him out, fear not, it looks pretty good man, not gonna die - and thanks, I'm happy I could help. I believe most of these were 1862.

I really am drawn to the one where his hair is not nicely combed.It looks almost as if it was taken just off the battlefield.There are a couple of A P Hills like that---they look like they may have been done in mobile-type studios.Not sure if they had such things,but those type photos just make me think that they were taken without much care given to appearance.They just look very natural,as if they just took thier hats off and did a quick comb through thier hair with thier hands.Plus the open throat jackets which I imagine were prevalent while in the field or on the march.That one that appears to be "carte vista" of the General,just makes me think he was called in off the street in some town his troops were at the time marching through...like Chambersburg Pa,perhaps.Anyway,that is how I always see Longstreet--he even seems to have that 1000 yard stare in his eyes.A cigar stuck in his teeth would complete the whole image,for me.
I am trying to remember if I have ever seen it before and cant recall a time before now.Thanks so much for introducing another image of him that I dont think I have seen before.

I really am drawn to the one where his hair is not nicely combed.It looks almost as if it was taken just off the battlefield.There are a couple of A P Hills like that---they look like they may have been done in mobile-type studios.Not sure if they had such things,but those type photos just make me think that they were taken without much care given to appearance.They just look very natural,as if they just took thier hats off and did a quick comb through thier hair with thier hands.Plus the open throat jackets which I imagine were prevalent while in the field or on the march.That one that appears to be "carte vista" of the General,just makes me think he was called in off the street in some town his troops were at the time marching through...like Chambersburg Pa,perhaps.Anyway,that is how I always see Longstreet--he even seems to have that 1000 yard stare in his eyes.A cigar stuck in his teeth would complete the whole image,for me.
I am trying to remember if I have ever seen it before and cant recall a time before now.Thanks so much for introducing another image of him that I dont think I have seen before.
My pleasure entirely. I have just been looking at some images of A.P. Hill and J.E.B. Stuart to try and get some high resolution ones, but it's just impossible to find any, it seems.

I'm curious.What exactly is High resolution? I mean there is at least one A.P.Hill that is really clear and quite detailed

Back