Longstreet James Longstreet (and Braxton Bragg and U.S. Grant too) in Comics!

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
I've previously posted threads like this scanned from old issues of Classics Illustrated Special Issues about Stonewall Jackson, Ulysses S. Grant, and John S. Mosby - since this one largely - and favorably! - features (admittedly among others) the often-neglected Longstreet I thought it appropriate to give him his due in this, his dedicated forum, near the anniversary of the events depicted:

Image (4).jpg
Image (5).jpg
Image (6).jpg
Image (7).jpg
Image (8).jpg
Image (9).jpg
Image (10).jpg
Image (11).jpg

Last edited:
I would like to see the ones on John S. Moby. He is what sparked my interest in the Civil War. When I was very and I mean very young, there was a tv show called "The Grey Ghost". Mosby was portrayed as a combination Robin Hood , Davy Crockett and Zorro. Loved the show.

I would like to see the ones on John S. Moby. He is what sparked my interest in the Civil War. When I was very and I mean very young, there was a tv show called "The Grey Ghost". Mosby was portrayed as a combination Robin Hood , Davy Crockett and Zorro. Loved the show.
Same here. I bought a dvd set of the Gray Ghost years ago, let them out never returned. Was looking to replace them "Finders Keepers" has a set with most of episodes on it. In case your interested.

Last edited:
Awesome. Last book I read on Chattanooga took me days. Have you had this from childhood?
Not exactly childhood - I was already in my early 'teens at the time of the Civil War Centennial when things like this appeared; however, yes, I have kept them ever since. There are two Classics Illustrated Special Editions, plus the issues on The Red Badge of Courage and The Crisis, plus another two issues of The Gray Ghost.

Image (5).jpg Image (14).jpgCrisis.jpg Gray Ghost.jpg Gray Ghost2.jpg

View attachment 211140

Longstreet as he appears, shortly before being wounded, in Deadly Inferno - Battle of the Wilderness 1864 which was one of the few (and IMO comparably bad) graphic novels done by Osprey Publishing.
I hadn't seen this before, but I do own a copy of another titled Cleburne about the last year of his life from his proposal to arm slaves to his death at Franklin.

Cleburne.jpg Cleburne 001.jpg

Back