James Lawless Civil War Veteran New Jersey?

Greendoor

Private
My GGG Grandfather James Lawless died April. 21, 1904 age 60 years old.
He is buried at Saint Johns Cemetery, Trenton, NJ. He had a daughter Marcello Lawless Voorhees, two sons: John Lawless & Patrick Lawless. He would have been 17 years old in 1861. Anyone have info if he was a veteran of the Civil War? Thanks.

Hello @Greendoor and welcome to CivilWarTalk - the best place on the internet for Civil War discussion. There was indeed a James Lawless who served as a Private in Co F 40th New Jersey, but without knowing more - perhaps where your ancestor was living; where the Company was organized, etc. it would be difficult to know for sure if he is indeed your James Lawless. The 40th New Jersey was organized late in the war 1864 and since your ancestor was young, that part makes sense. Unfortunately, Fold 3 only includes index cards for New Jersey regiments at this time, so no further information is available from this source. Perhaps someone who is more familiar with the organization of New Jersey regiments late war can shed some light on the organization of Company F 40th New Jersey. Best of luck in your search and again, welcome aboard.
1556767118133.png

Hello @Greendoor and welcome to CivilWarTalk - the best place on the internet for Civil War discussion. There was indeed a James Lawless who served as a Private in Co F 40th New Jersey, but without knowing more - perhaps where your ancestor was living; where the Company was organized, etc. it would be difficult to know for sure if he is indeed your James Lawless. The 40th New Jersey was organized late in the war 1864 and since your ancestor was young, that part makes sense. Unfortunately, Fold 3 only includes index cards for New Jersey regiments at this time, so no further information is available from this source. Perhaps someone who is more familiar with the organization of New Jersey regiments late war can shed some light on the organization of Company F 40th New Jersey. Best of luck in your search and again, welcome aboard.
View attachment 305427
1882 City Directory shows he is living in Trenton, NJ
I found out his wife name was Bridget. Maybe he filed for a pension?

He would have been 17 years old in 1861.

That fits !

NEW JERSEY
40TH INFANTRY
(One Year)
Fortieth Infantry.-Col., Stephen R. Gilkyson; Lieut.-
Col., J. Augustus Fay, Jr.; Maj., Andrew J. Mandeville. This
regiment was organized under the immediate superintendence of
Col. Stephen R. Gilkyson, under General Orders No. 243 of the
war department, and was forwarded to the field by companies,
the last company being mustered in on March 10, 1865. Upon
reaching the field the companies were attached to the 1st
brigade, the regiment proving courageous and efficient in all
the engagements in which it participated. In the last fight
before Richmond it displayed conspicuous gallantry, the men
fighting with the steadiness of veterans. It was mustered out
at Hall's hill, Va., July 13, 1865. The total strength of the
regiment was 1,409, and it lost during its term of service by
resignation 2, by discharge 23, by promotion 17, by transfer
151, by death 19, by desertion 399, by dismissal 1, not
accounted for 33, mustered out 767.

Source: The Union Army, vol. 3

Do you have information to verify? I would hate to send for pension records and find out it isn’t him. Thanks.

My GGG Grandfather James Lawless died April. 21, 1904 age 60 years old.
He is buried at Saint Johns Cemetery, Trenton, NJ. He had a daughter Marcello Lawless Voorhees, two sons: John Lawless & Patrick Lawless. He would have been 17 years old in 1861. Anyone have info if he was a veteran of the Civil War? Thanks.

7D2A09EF-F70F-4141-B636-36344B9DB9C7.jpeg

Anyone on this forum know if he applied for a pension? I have gone to the cemetery where he is buried and discovered he has no grave stone. If he was a veteran I need evidence that he served to apply for a military marker for his gravesite. Thanks again for all your help.

Here is his record from the NPS site along with the microfilm information

263AAF75-CD4C-4152-B789-4CF0C0CED300.jpeg

4935A739-2B7B-4F2A-BCB4-00156AE80CDA.jpeg

There is no soldier's pension for James Lawless in the files of Co F 40th New Jersey and no widows pension for Bridget Lawless.

Are you sure that the James Lawless (b. 1845-1849) in question was married to Bridget? Is it possible that James' father was also named James and he was the one married to Bridget? I am finding census records for a James Lawless born on or about Feb 1849 who was married to Catherine. Please advise. During the search, I did run across this, which may be of interest.

1870 US Census for Landis, Cumberland, New Jersey
Bridget Lawless, female, age 25, born in Ireland, @1845, enumerated in the household of Patrick Lawless, male, age 60, born in Ireland, a Railroad laborer. Also in the household Michael Lawless, male, age 30, born in Ireland, a Railroad laborer, and an infant, James Lawless, male, age 1, born in New York.
1556835898075.png

Last edited:
Does anyone know offhand if there are concrete plans for those records in Fold3 that are just index cards, like NJ records, to be replaced with full CSRs? One of the reasons I've mostly just researched my Southern Civil War ancestors is definitely the easier access to records for them, regardless of which side they served on. If Fold3 added the records for all states, that would be a big help.

There is no soldier's pension for James Lawless in the files of Co F 40th New Jersey and no widows pension for Bridget Lawless.

Are you sure that the James Lawless (b. 1845-1849) in question was married to Bridget? Is it possible that James' father was also named James and he was the one married to Bridget? I am finding census records for a James Lawless born on or about Feb 1849 who was married to Catherine. Please advise. During the search, I did run across this, which may be of interest.

1870 US Census for Landis, Cumberland, New Jersey
Bridget Lawless, female, age 25, born in Ireland, @1845, enumerated in the household of Patrick Lawless, male, age 60, born in Ireland, a Railroad laborer. Also in the household Michael Lawless, male, age 30, born in Ireland, a Railroad laborer, and an infant, James Lawless, male, age 1, born in New York.
View attachment 305580
When my GG Grandfather James Lawless’s daugter Marcella Lawless got married on May. 10, 1890 in Trenton, NJ to my GG Grandfather Ralph Voorhees it says her parents were James Lawless and Bridget . Does the 1870, 1880 censuse in Trenton, NJ list James and Bridget? Thanks again for all the info.

Not having much luck in the census. The only census I can find that lists James and Bridget together in/near Mercer County is semi-decennial census of 1885. Unfortunately, since its a semi-decennial, it only shows age ranges. It shows James as age 20-60 and Bridget as "over 60."
1556849520370.png

This is my GG Grandfather/GG Grandmother. His obit from 1904 said he lived at 28 Adelaine St. in Trenton, NJ. part of Chambersburg. 1885 Census shows he lives in Chambersburg. I could never find when Bridget passed away. From the above info it would be between 1885-1904
Do you have any info when Bridget passed away? Would like to find out her maiden name. Thank you.

I did find a Bridget Lawless who passed away in 1894. She passed away in Newark, NJ. She was born 1839.
At the same cemetery there are many with the last name of Lawless. I cant be sure if they are from the same lineage.

No grave photo. There over 52 Lawless family members buried in this cemetery. It is also where many of my family are buried.

6D9BF322-F4EB-42AD-9837-AFFE42F157ED.jpeg

Back