James Island, South Carolina (Forts & Batteries)

Mark,

I love touring the big ACW battlefields (Gettysburg, Shiloh, Fredericksburg) and the little ACW battlefields (Fort Donelson, Bryce's Crossroads, Kernstown). But there is something special about touring the "Off the Beaten Path" ACW sites like the James Island forts and batteries. The South Carolina Preservation Trust has done a wonderful job preserving this state's historic sites. Bravo......

Bill
I find that often these 'off the beaten path' battlefields reveal more about the struggle and people involved than the tourist favorites.

Pardon my ignorance, and nothing whatsoever to do with the batteries, but I noticed the unbroken double yellow lines on the highway, do they mean the same as unbroken double white lines in the UK - no overtaking ? ie you must not cross the lines to do so.

Pardon my ignorance, and nothing whatsoever to do with the batteries, but I noticed the unbroken double yellow lines on the highway, do they mean the same as unbroken double white lines in the UK - no overtaking ? ie you must not cross the lines to do so.

If the double yellow (white) line is broken in the direction you are traveling, you may cross to pass. If the double yellow (white) line is solid, you may not pass.

The Battle of Secessionville (James Island), South Carolina occurred on this day in 1862. Federal Major General David Hunter transported Brigadier Generals Horatio G. Wright’s and Isaac I. Stevens’s divisions under immediate direction of Brigadier General Henry Benham to James Island where they entrenched at Grimball’s Landing near the southern flank of the Confederate defenses. Benham launched an unsuccessful frontal assault against Fort Lamar.

* Anniversary bump for the Battle of Secessionville, James Island, Charleston, South Carolina.

Why did the Union make no further operations on James Island after Secessionville? Confederate defenses too strong and the ground too low-lying for traditional siege operations (digging approaches, etc)?

Bill: Great. I love it. Colonel Lamar has been sometimes reported to have died of malaria shortly after the battle or to have died of battle wounds. Does anybody know what really happened?
The Colonel's plantation house Woodlawn still stands in North Augusta, S.C. It is privately owned and not open to the public but there are pictures on line from when it was up for sale.
woodlawnplantation.jpg

Great stuff as usual Mr Bill !!

May I have the pleasure to suggest again that you need your own website to organize and feature all of your tours !!!!

I just bumped this thread for the anniversary of the Battle of Secessionville. As I was reading through this thread, I came across Chuck's reply. I can't believe he has passed. It is almost a year since I first learned about his death. I miss my traveling buddy.....

Bill

IMG_20181029_205050.jpg

Thanks for the info! I've been trying to make an order of battle for the Siege of Charleston, and the battery placements really help!
-Stryker

Back