James H. Wilson - Union Cavalry

samgrant

Captain
Retired Moderator
This guy Wilson seemed to have been everywhere, South Mountain and Antietam under McClellan, Vicksburg with Grant, and Chattanooga, was in the van in the Overland Campaign, back West under Sherman trained Kilpatrick's cavalry, then under Gen. Thomas fought at Franklin and Nashville, finally chased down and defeated Forrest in Alabama.

P.S. Also his troops captured Jefferson Davis!

Why don't we hear more about this guy?

What's his record?

My question would also have to be what is his record? And I would also have to remember that he was calvary, if I am correct, and that the Union calvary did not come into its own till later in the war.

Excellent observation, Sam!
Know absotively nothing about the man or his role in finally forcing vital capitulations. Understand that he did, but know nothing about it. Curse follows: May the fleas of a thousand camels rush into your beard.
Ole

Ole, I'm not sure whom you are cursing or why you are cursing at them.

But I thought the curse involved the fleas of a thousand sweaty camels.

Hoosier:
I generally put a curse on anyone who brings up an interesting subject that I'm bound to pursue. The heap of those subjects grows faster than the stack of books in the "must read" pile and the "must buy" list.

A question? Do camels sweat?
Ole

General James H. Wilson is my favorite y a n k e e cavalryman, mostly because great-great grandpa Cockerham was his best blacksmith! He was no Nat Forrest, but he did finally provide Forrest with his final defeat. At that time he had the most guns, horses and men, which I suspose is what it took to win the war. He wrote a huge book after the war and continued to write his entire life, mostly as a career soldier. Forrest embarrassed him several times in 1864 in north Alabama, Mississippi and Tennessee. It was Wilson who won the last round at Selma, but by then the bells were starting to ring signaling the end of the bout. Wilson happened to be a friend of Uly Grant. That didn't hurt his career.

Yes, Ole, camels sweat. Worse yet, I saw one take a dump on the stage of the Radio City Music Hall a few years back during the finale of the Christmas extravazana. Except for the little man who kept flying out of the wall playing the organ, the camel was probably the highlight of the evening.

There is a good book called Wilsons' Cavalry that is a very good read. It should take a few hours to read and it is very good. Mainly it centers on the area of fall of 1864 and early 1865.

Except for the little man who kept flying out of the wall playing the organ, the camel was probably the highlight of the evening.

Larry, I can kind of figure out where the camel fit in with the Christmas extravaganza, but how did the little dude with the organ fit in? That had to be stretching it a bit to work him into the manger scene. :tongue:

An Unknown General to Most Americans

Started studying James Harrison Wilson some 25 years ago. He graduated the year ahead of Custer at West Point. Was selected to command a cavalry division in the Army of the Potomac in 1864. Custer who held a brigade command in that division, was transferred to another division.

Wilson started supplying all the cavalry corps, as Cavalry Bureau Chief, with Spencer carbines in 1864, making the Union cavalry far superior to the Confederate cavalry arm.

Wilson led the largest independent cavalry action of the war with his raid into Alabama and Georgia, near the end of the war.

Wilson's cavalry command at Nashville flanked Hood's army, leading to the virtual destruction of an army in the field in one day.

Wilson had his faults and his enemies. President Johnson never forgot Wilson took Johnson's horses to equip the cavalry defending Nashville.

Fell out of favor with President Grant, when Wilson's brother, a government lawyer, prosecuted some of Grant's appointees.

General Wilson commanded U.S. troops in Puerto Rico during the Spanish-American War.
Went on to command U.S., British and support troops from the British Colonial Empire in battle in China, during the Boxer War.

And most Americans know the general who rode into one great Ambush!

whitworth said:
Started studying James Harrison Wilson some 25 years ago. He graduated the year ahead of Custer at West Point. Was selected to command a cavalry division in the Army of the Potomac in 1864. Custer who held a brigade command in that division, was transferred to another division.

Wilson started supplying all the cavalry corps, as Cavalry Bureau Chief, with Spencer carbines in 1864, making the Union cavalry far superior to the Confederate cavalry arm.

Whitworth, I got to take some shots here. The cavalry wasn't superior, just the guns. We borrowed some of those when Wilson's boys left 'em lying around or simply decided to hand them over.

Wilson led the largest independent cavalry action of the war with his raid into Alabama and Georgia, near the end of the war.

He simply had the most men in his cavalry after March 1865, about 13,000 by various estimates. Forrest's combined divisions in 1863 and 1864 approached that number but only for short periods. Wilson in Alabama and Georgia in 1865 was simply "mopping up". The Army of Tennessee, aside from Forrest and Taylor, whom he whipped in Selma on April 2, 1865, was already in South Carolina on their way to Bentonville.

Wilson's cavalry command at Nashville flanked Hood's army, leading to the virtual destruction of an army in the field in one day.

I don't believe Hood's army was "flanked". I will accept that Wilson's boys (Hatch) drove the Confederates back along Hillsboro Pike and started the collapse of the Confederate line. James R. Chalmers was in the way of a "flank". Didn't happen.

Wilson had his faults and his enemies. President Johnson never forgot Wilson took Johnson's horses to equip the cavalry defending Nashville.

Wilson stated that he stopped the pursuit of the AOT in Pulaski because he had already lost close to 5,000 animals during the prior couple of weeks. It was not a good time to be a horse in Tennessee.

Fell out of favor with President Grant, when Wilson's brother, a government lawyer, prosecuted some of Grant's appointees.

General Wilson commanded U.S. troops in Puerto Rico during the Spanish-American War.
Went on to command U.S., British and support troops from the British Colonial Empire in battle in China, during the Boxer War.

And most Americans know the general who rode into one great Ambush!

Can you explain that last line? As you know, I'm slow.

"Wilson's Raid" south into Alabama and then east into Georgia... I read that this was the largest, best-equipped, best-trained, best-planned cavalry campaign ever conducted, anywhere anytime. An irresistible mobile force.

The plan was to cut through and neutralize the "breadbasket" of the south... that area previously untouched by other campaigning and still capable of providing arms, supplies and food to Confederate forces.

Had it not taken place at the very end of the War, it would have held a much bigger place in the War's history... and Wilson's reputation greatly enhanced. The campaign was a masterpiece!

jkeith21 said:
"Wilson's Raid" south into Alabama and then east into Georgia... I read that this was the largest, best-equipped, best-trained, best-planned cavalry campaign ever conducted, anywhere anytime. An irrestible mobile force.

The plan was to cut through and neutralize the "breadbasket" of the south... that area previously untouched by other campaigning and still capable of providing arms, supplies and food to Confederate forces.

Had it not taken place at the very end of the War, it would have held a much bigger place in the War's history... and Wilson's reputation greatly enhanced. The campaign was a masterpiece!

Not exactly the way I read it. Best equipped and manned cavalry to that time, perhaps. The "raid" into Alabama and Georgia was a "mopping up" expedition after the opposition, the Army of Tennessee had moved on east. The token opposition provided at Selma, AL on Apr 2, 1864 was Forrest, Taylor, a few young kids and some old men for the most part. Hardly an army.

This "breadbasket" of the south was a barren cupboard at this point. Two years of cavalry encounters over the previous two years Hatch, Wilson, Roddy, Forrest and Wheeler had pretty much eaten all the turnips and hay available in the northern tier of counties along the Tennessee River in Alabama. Sherman had gobbled the rest in west Georgia.

Had his raid taken place earlier, I supect Forrest and Wheeler would have eaten his lunch, as they in fact did during that previous period east of Florence. That's why he was up in Nashville in late 1864, trying to recoup.

Don't get me wrong, the good General Wilson was quite competent, he was just in the varsity league with Forrest and Wheeler.

larry_cockerham said:
Not exactly the way I read it. Best equipped and manned cavalry to that time, perhaps. The "raid" into Alabama and Georgia was a "mopping up" expedition after the opposition, the Army of Tennessee had moved on east. The token opposition provided at Selma, AL on Apr 2, 1864 was Forrest, Taylor, a few young kids and some old men for the most part. Hardly an army.

This "breadbasket" of the south was a barren cupboard at this point. Two years of cavalry encounters over the previous two years Hatch, Wilson, Roddy, Forrest and Wheeler had pretty much eaten all the turnips and hay available in the northern tier of counties along the Tennessee River in Alabama. Sherman had gobbled the rest in west Georgia.

Had his raid taken place earlier, I supect Forrest and Wheeler would have eaten his lunch, as they in fact did during that previous period east of Florence. That's why he was up in Nashville in late 1864, trying to recoup.

Don't get me wrong, the good General Wilson was quite competent, he was just in the varsity league with Forrest and Wheeler.

Larry - Points well taken. My opinion would be that the AOT proper (or any significant Federal force) had never been in the areas south/southwest of Atlanta, (east central Alabama, west central Georgia in general) except after Shiloh/Corinth when they hustled back to Chattanooga via Tupelo, Mobile, Montgomery, West Point, Atlanta, Chattanooga and then again contemporary to "the raid" when they followed essentially the same route on their return to the Carolinas. Sherman never saw West Georgia except at the very northern end of the state as he moved from Chattanooga on Atlanta. He was generally north and east of the territory targeted by Wilson.

The area still was (capable of) providing to/for the army but the biggest problem was getting the stuff to them. Of course there were shortages, mostly arising from lack of "man"-power to produce in general as opposed to shortages due to destruction or occupation.

Had he (Wilson) executed the raid earlier, would he have met Forrest or Wheeler? Or would they have remained pinned down as they were confronting Sherman? Seems he'd had no trouble keeping 'em busy?

Caliber of Forrest or Wheeler? Probably not. Biggest SOB on the playground at the time? Definitely. If one had 10,000 mounted troops, more artillery than you could use, repeating rifles, more ammunition than you could shoot, a plan and the whole-hearted blessing of the Army behind you... would you have to be a Forrest? ...or just stick to the plan?

Keith, all of that great argument you just made depended on the time frame and location on which you focus. Also a lot had to do with office and position at a given time. In early 1864 Wilson was just being sent to Nashville to report to Gen. Thomas. Wilson was in command of Gen. Hatch who did actually skirmish with (when he could find them) Wheeler and Forrest. After January 1865, Forrest and Wheeler were no longer formidable opponents. Thomas with a little help re-built his cavalry after the winter and was able to capture an Alabama and Georgia that was essentialy undefended. Even old Edward Hatch was still doing much of his work. Hatch was a fighter, Wilson was an observer and supervisor. Forrest and Wheeler would have tinkled on their boots, but lacked the energy, manpower and bullets to do so after January, 1865.

Back