James C. Gordon claimed he fired the last cannon shot with Ward's Artillery on April 16,1865

tdstepen

Corporal
James C. Gordon claimed he fired the last cannon shot with Captain John James Ward's Alabama light Artillery on April 16,1865,a week after General Robert E. Lee surrendered. If true, what battle was fought on April 16,1865? Was it the Battle of Columbus,Georgia or the Battle of West Point,Georgia? One Buck Hamlet of Ward's Artillery claimed in his pension application that he was wounded at Kennesaw Mountain and West Point,Georgia,so I am thinking it was the Battle of West Point,Georgia that James C. Gordon fired the last cannon shot with Ward's Artillery. Ward's artillery is of interest to me because my Sylvester Brown Stephenson served in Ward's Artillery.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be the Battle of West Point (Georgia) because at the Battle of Columbus that night there were no CS cannons fired.

Hi @tdstepen. You could say that is a prize feather. At the time mentioned, Staunton Va. was a hotspot for troops to rally that had not been captured. Rosser was also in the valley, (cavalry), and Jeff Davis was somewhere between Greensborough and Washington Georgia. Is that claim made concerning just the Alabama Brigade?
Lubliner

As of now, only two men of Ward's Battery are on record as fighting in Fort Tyler at the Battle of West Point (GA). They had escaped capture at Selma and went east apparently along the railroad.

Yes, east of the Miss. unless a little fight the same Union cavalry had just up the road the next day or two included CS cannon. Not sure but there were 300 Rebs there at a creek bridge. I may have to research that one a little more.

Hi @tdstepen. You could say that is a prize feather. At the time mentioned, Staunton Va. was a hotspot for troops to rally that had not been captured. Rosser was also in the valley, (cavalry), and Jeff Davis was somewhere between Greensborough and Washington Georgia. Is that claim made concerning just the Alabama Brigade?
Lubliner
Yes, that claim
Lubliner
Lubliner, I believe the claim was made as pertaining to Ward's Artillery.https://themarkwhiteshow.com/?p=3668

Back