James Buchanan and Wheatland

8thFlorida

First Sergeant
F182BB60-4570-4394-89F7-9DB6A79DFBDC.jpeg
691B6AD7-7A53-4545-9F6A-B1DBEB500B73.jpeg
E418F20B-52C3-4029-90F5-D422577E91A1.jpeg
This desk was used at the White House and was from India originally.

C00A3730-167F-4CE0-9BD1-A6F4816F0881.jpeg
919445C7-4C14-463E-A914-F20E870CDC2D.jpeg
52F4E0D3-2855-40C7-85DE-6FC1F03B94B7.jpeg
3B5E6DA3-0F7D-45E9-9BFC-4ECA2A0B4A22.jpeg
All furniture pictured is originally from Wheatland.

Here are a couple more. The bath was installed by Harriet after Buchanan’s death. The piano is Harriet’s his niece.

E8C6C973-3C21-4A36-B014-EB34D0A02CE0.jpeg
0F98B590-E98A-488A-84B2-263DB5D81DC8.jpeg

I visited James Buchanan’s Presidential home today in Lancaster, PA. I thought the group would like to see the pictures. Although Buchanan takes a real beating from modern historians his estate is quite interesting. He originally purchased the farm house for 6,700 and that equated to 300,000 in today’s money. It is built in Federal style and the front of the House resembles a Southern plantation. The back doors resemble a Northern mansion and the direction each guest entered was determined by their Northern or Southern origins/leanings.​

Last edited:
Thanks for the views. I’d have to say they did a very nice job explaining the President’s life outside of the Oval Office as well. He entered Dickinson College at 16 as a junior. He also founded Franklin and Marshall College. He was the only Bachelor president and his niece was the First Lady. Buchanan was responsible for taking care of his nephew and niece and they also lived at Wheatland with him. Apparently another interesting fact was that Andrew Jackson who I admire as a President thought that Buchanan had arranged a conspiracy against him and Jackson had Buchanan sent to Russia as a Diplomatic Representative of the US. Ironically, Buchanan arranged the first US trade deals with Russia.

View attachment 176705 View attachment 176706 View attachment 176707 This desk was used at the White House and was from India originally.

View attachment 176708 View attachment 176709 View attachment 176710 View attachment 176711 All furniture pictured is originally from Wheatland.

Here are a couple more. The bath was installed by Harriet after Buchanan’s death. The piano is Harriet’s his niece.

View attachment 176808 View attachment 176809

I visited James Buchanan’s Presidential home today in Lancaster, PA. I thought the group would like to see the pictures. Although Buchanan takes a real beating from modern historians his estate is quite interesting. He originally purchased the farm house for 6,700 and that equated to 300,000 in today’s money. It is built in Federal style and the front of the House resembles a Southern plantation. The back doors resemble a Northern mansion and the direction each guest entered was determined by their Northern or Southern origins/leanings.​
Thanks for sharing these great views of Buchanan's home! It is, indeed, a national treasure too often overlooked.

Thanks for the views. I’d have to say they did a very nice job explaining the President’s life outside of the Oval Office as well. He entered Dickinson College at 16 as a junior. He also founded Franklin and Marshall College. He was the only Bachelor president and his niece was the First Lady. Buchanan was responsible for taking care of his nephew and niece and they also lived at Wheatland with him. Apparently another interesting fact was that Andrew Jackson who I admire as a President thought that Buchanan had arranged a conspiracy against him and Jackson had Buchanan sent to Russia as a Diplomatic Representative of the US. Ironically, Buchanan arranged the first US trade deals with Russia.
It seems to be accepted that candidates for the office of President ought to have extensive experience. Few presidential candidates had as impressive a resume as Buchanan. He was a man who, until the last months of his administration, could confidently boast that he had performed with distinction and would leave a highly respected legacy.

View attachment 176705 View attachment 176706 View attachment 176707 This desk was used at the White House and was from India originally.

View attachment 176708 View attachment 176709 View attachment 176710 View attachment 176711 All furniture pictured is originally from Wheatland.

View attachment 176808 View attachment 176809

OMG! I'd give my eye teeth to be able to live there today...just as it is too!

Thank You very much for providing such beautiful pictures of President Buchanan's house. My older sister lives very close to Wheatland and I still have never taken the time to visit and tour the house. The next time I visit my sister I will have to make a point of touring this wonderful and stately home. David.

Thanks for sharing these great views of Buchanan's home! It is, indeed, a national treasure too often overlooked.
You’re welcome. Every President has a home and to be in any President’s home is a part of history. Particularly this President who was thrust into a period of American history that was erupting into war.

It seems to be accepted that candidates for the office of President ought to have extensive experience. Few presidential candidates had as impressive a resume as Buchanan. He was a man who, until the last months of his administration, could confidently boast that he had performed with distinction and would leave a highly respected legacy.
This fact was brought out during the lengthy historical tour. Buchanan was a prolific lawyer and statesman and scholar even before he took office. He also held a vast array of political posts.

Thanks for the posting. I don't think I ever saw a bathtub lined with metal.
Harriet his niece even had an ingenious method of warming the water for the tub. This is a far cry from the bathing that was previously had at the house. There was no running water originally and the house was a steady 40-45 degrees during winter.. very hard living even among the opulence.

Thank you for posting this very beautiful photo tour. Despite being an ostrich with his head in the sand. The man lived well.
Yes he did. Funny thing was that Harriet inherited the home as a “summer home” even though her actual home once she was married was in Baltimore only an hour and a half away. I can’t believe the House was that much cooler being in Lancaster but that was the pretense for giving the house to her apparently.

Back