Jacob Alvord

chaughey001

Private
Greetings,

I already am on Ancestry since 2005 and I already have his military records he was a 1st Lt. and a Sergeant .He was with G 95 and transferred to 96 Pa Inf he's my 3x great grandfather. Is there any other relations to this gentlemen on here? Anyone know if there maybe any photos of him in uniform ? Since he was a officer I thought maybe there MAY have been one taken .
Thank YOU,

Carol Haughey

Greetings,

I already am on Ancestry since 2005 and I already have his military records he was a 1st Lt. and a Sergeant .He was with G 95 and transferred to 96 Pa Inf he's my 3x great grandfather. Is there any other relations to this gentlemen on here? Anyone know if there maybe any photos of him in uniform ? Since he was a officer I thought maybe there MAY have been one taken .
Thank YOU,

Carol Haughey

Welcome! We hope you'll share his record with us. There may well be a photo of him out there. Kinda like winning the lottery though. Good luck.

Welcome! We hope you'll share his record with us. There may well be a photo of him out there. Kinda like winning the lottery though. Good luck.

The Lykens Standard reported on the final illness and death of Jacob Alvord in its last two editions of March 1907. Alvord, a Civil War veteran and former postmaster of Lykens Borough, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, died on 21 March 1907.

Seriously Sick

As we go to press (Thursday noon) Jacob Alvord of Market Street, is nigh unto death’s door. For the past two weeks he has been confined to his bed with cerosis of the liver, and three days ago pneumonia developed. His death is momentarily expected. Lykens Standard, 22 March1907

DEATHS AND FUNERALS

The death of Jacob Alvord of Market Street, whose serious illness with cerosis of the liver and pneumonia was mentioned in these columns last week, occurred Thursday, 21 March [1907] at 11 p.m. on his 70th birthday. The funeral was held at 3 p.m. Sunday and was largely attended. Heilner Post, No. 232, G.A.R., assisted by M. M. Hoffman Camp, Sons of Veerans, had charge of the ceremonies. Delegations from Williamstown and Tower City Posts were also present, and Wiconisco Lodge, No. 533, I.O.O.F., which deceased was also a member, attended in a body, performing part of their ceremonies at the grave, and furnished the following pallbearers: J. M. Miller, J. J. John, J. W. Johns, T. A. Hensel, J. N. Baker, and F. J. Douden. The services were held at his late home and were conducted by Rev. L. M. Fetterolf of Christ Reformed Church, assisted by Rev. C. J. Kilgour of Christ Episcopal Church. The body was laid to rest in Odd Fellows’ Cemetery with full military honors.

Deceased served in the Civil War of 1861-1865 as follows: 26 April 1861, enlisted in Company F, Tenth Pennsylvania Volunteers (3 months) [10th Pennsylvania Infantry] as 1st Lieutenant, E. G. Savage, Captain; discharged 30 July 1861. Re-enlisted, 23 September 1861, as Sergeant in Company G, Ninety-Sixth Pennsylvania Volunteers [96th Pennsylvania Infantry], James Douden, Captain; discharged for purposes of re-enlisting on 14 February 1864, near Brandy Station, Virginia; was wounded at Spottsylvania, 10 May 1864, and sent to the hospital where he was finally discharged on account of wounds received, having participated in 27 different engagements.
Deceased married Lucy Hoffman of this place, 8 March 1864, who with the following daughters survive: Florence Alvord, Mrs. E. B. Camp, of Salt Lick, Kentucky; Mrs. Otto C. Burkhardt of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania; Minnie Alvord, Mrs. Charles E. Mosser of Hughesville, Pennsylvania; and Miss Lucy Alvord, at home. He is also survived by one son, Jacob M. Alvord, of Youngstown, Ohio. There are three grandchildren.
Deceased has resided here many years and was postmaster about 12 years, being first appointed under President Harrison’s administration. His occupation was that of an engineer, and for a number of years he ran one of the small engines used to haul the coal from the mines here to Millersburg. During the latter years of his life, however, he was employed as a stationery engineer and pump runner at the collierie in this section. He was possessed of considerable musical ability, played the violin well and was one of the few surviving members of the old Lykens Silver Cornet Band. He was also a great sportsman and a member of the Mountain Brook Gun Club of this place.

I second @2rivcob73's recommendation on the historical societies--hope one of them comes through for you! :smile:

You might also see if there are any books devoted to his regiment. The only photographs of my officer ancestors that I am aware of are through books.

Have you checked fold3? it could have some things on there, i would also check local historical societies in the area in which he lived before or after the war.
Also, the Civil War buffs. I'm not including photos in my work but I know that ACW buffs in Maine have such photos. Sometimes they even sell them--to other buffs (online) and in places such as eBay.

Back