Stonewall Jackson's Valley Campaign Begins: The Battle of Kernstown

That whole valley is chock full of history! When I went with my son to the 150th Cedar Creek in 2014, I could feel it the whole time I was there! Even our campsite along Meadow Brook was part of the Cedar Creek battle. My first visit to the Valley was in 1967 and I could feel it then, too, although I didn't know much and we didn't visit any battlefield sites. We saw a lot of signs about Stonewall's Valley Campaign, though, especially from viewpoints in Shenandoah National Park.

That whole valley is chock full of history! When I went with my son to the 150th Cedar Creek in 2014, I could feel it the whole time I was there! Even our campsite along Meadow Brook was part of the Cedar Creek battle. My first visit to the Valley was in 1967 and I could feel it then, too, although I didn't know much and we didn't visit any battlefield sites. We saw a lot of signs about Stonewall's Valley Campaign, though, especially from viewpoints in Shenandoah National Park.

THESE, I have no doubt:

shenandoah-trip-april-1998-006a-jpg.jpg

dsc03551-jpg.jpg

Attachments

• shenandoah-trip-april-1998-006a-jpg.jpg
    shenandoah-trip-april-1998-006a-jpg.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 39
  • dsc03551-jpg.jpg
    dsc03551-jpg.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 36
A *BUMP* for the 155th anniversary of the Battle of Kernstown and beginning of Stonewall Jackson's Shenandoah Valley Campaign!

image-18-jpg.jpg

Anniversary bump...

Stonewall Jackson has a deservedly brilliant reputation based on his Shenandoah Valley campaign of early 1862. His rapid and purposeful maneuvering along interior lines, and his consequent defeat of several numerically superior Union forces is in stark contrast to the uninspired movements of the outclassed Federal commanders. The valley campaign, however, did not open as auspiciously as Jackson might have wanted. His first battle as an army commander, Kernstown, on March 23rd, was badly botched. But the moribund Union command failed to press their advantage. Jackson got away relatively unscathed and his mere presence created a confusion among Union leaders far outweighing any material effect that he could, in his wildest dreams have imagined.

Jackson's Valley Campaign.JPG

Back