Jackson's 1861 Maryland Invasion

Strictly-speaking, most of this particular "invasion" consisted of raids and brief river crossings. For starters, the Confederates considered the slave-holding state of Maryland a natural ally (and particularly this early in the war, they weren't entirely wrong). Additionally, since Harper's Ferry literally sits on the river, across which is Maryland, Jackson's action made strategic sense; it's easier to defend a point when there's some occupied space between you and the enemy, rather than being right up against their territory.

I would consider constructing earthworks on Maryland Heights as an invasion of Maryland soil by foreign troops, as the governor did.

When I first saw Maryland Heights about 20 years ago, I knew there was no way I was going to climb up there. Some did, and that's a tribute to those that did. And drag a gun or two up there? Fugeddaboudit.

What's interesting is how Jackson solved the problem by using Maryland troops to occupy the Maryland positions. The strange fellow could use politics.

Thanks dvrmte, nice link and interesting topic. Maybe his invasion in 61 turned against Confederacy in 62, with less troops joining the ANV and somewhat cold reception of the Maryland population..?

Strictly-speaking, most of this particular "invasion" consisted of raids and brief river crossings. For starters, the Confederates considered the slave-holding state of Maryland a natural ally (and particularly this early in the war, they weren't entirely wrong). Additionally, since Harper's Ferry literally sits on the river, across which is Maryland, Jackson's action made strategic sense; it's easier to defend a point when there's some occupied space between you and the enemy, rather than being right up against their territory.

As Jackson and Lee would show in 1862, Harpers Ferry cannot be held if the enemy has artillery on Maryland Heights. I guess Jackson figured that out quickly and took matters into his own hands.

However, the man who commanded at Harpers Ferry before Jackson had already made arrangements with Maryland "authorities" back in April, and the Virginia authorities had already forwarded thousands of sets of infantry weapons and equipment to Maryland secessionists (Virginia wanted them back later when Maryland did not secede).

Tim

I get down there once a yr. or so. Anyone have any links on trails to get to the top of MD heights? I always see people up there on the rocks from down in the town.

When I first saw Maryland Heights about 20 years ago, I knew there was no way I was going to climb up there. Some did, and that's a tribute to those that did. And drag a gun or two up there? Fugeddaboudit.

Heck, that was one of my worst fears when I went to the Civil War Trust teacher workshop--what if they asked me to climb the danged thing? Luckily, they had better sense. :smile:

I get down there once a yr. or so. Anyone have any links on trails to get to the top of MD heights? I always see people up there on the rocks from down in the town.
The trailhead is easy to find.... across the river just west of the walking bridge.

I actually hiked the whole loop this past May on a whim. It was a last minute decision and I am really glad I did it. Doing it by myself was pretty peaceful and enjoyable There are two different trails; one that is much shorter that goes directly to the overlook/cliff and the other loops all the way around the top (about 5.3 miles). This longer loop is where you will see the only fort formations. The only issue with going in late spring was that some of the views were blocked by leaves.

The link to info about the hike: http://www.hikingupward.com/omh/marylandheights/

Be aware, this can be pretty intensive for those who aren't used to hiking much. You want to make sure to bring plenty of water and take your time. Also, I would advise against going on a hot day.

Here are a few photos that I took:

S6302526.JPG

Remnants of a fort wall.

S6302527.JPG

S6302535.JPG

The view of Harper's Ferry from the overlook. You will notice how high the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers are . About a week prior we had a lot of heavy rains and it really raised the level.

S6302537.JPG

Expired Image Removed
A small stream that runs on the mountain. I actually climbed down to this to cool off a bit before heading the rest of the way down because we all know that going down is the hardest part! It is for me at least; very hard on the knees!

The best way to get there is off of 340 (right past Harper's Ferry when heading East on 340 or right before when heading West). There is a road called Keep Tryst Road you turn on (right if you are going East and left if you are going West). After turning, you take your first right onto Sandy Hook Road and follow that all the way down along side the mountain where you will find the trail entrance. There are a few small little areas to pull off and park. In my experience, these can get filled up pretty quickly on a weekend so you may want to consider getting there a bit early. Otherwise, you could always walk over from Harpers Ferry via the bridge.

Attachments

• S6302531.JPG
    S6302531.JPG
    374.5 KB · Views: 139
Schoolhouse Ridge.jpg

Or for the less athletically inclined, the Civil War Trust property with a great view of both Schoolhouse Ridge and Harpers Ferry.

View of HF.jpg

Attachments

• View of HF.jpg
    View of HF.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 159
  • View of HF.jpg
    View of HF.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 173
Back