Jackson Survives; What unfolds at Chancellorsville?

Luke Freet

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
How much does Jackson's Death affect the outcome of the third day of Chancellorsville? Whenever the "What if Jackson Lives?" question gets asked, I rarely hear this discussed.
I personally may not be qualified to answer this, as my knowledge on the events of the third day are merely the highlights of the Hazel Grove position and Hooker's incapacitation. The one time I heard this question addressed was a video by the Civil War Trust saying that Jackson would have organized a late night assault that'd fail; though I can't trust this as they go on to say (as the video compares this incident to Longsteet's Incident at the Wilderness), that in the case of Longstreet his planned assault would have succeded, even though it would have suffered the same problem as Jackson's by the logic they gave.
Thus, I'd like to ask y'all this question? Does his wounding change anything?

How much does Jackson's Death affect the outcome of the third day of Chancellorsville? Whenever the "What if Jackson Lives?" question gets asked, I rarely hear this discussed.
I personally may not be qualified to answer this, as my knowledge on the events of the third day are merely the highlights of the Hazel Grove position and Hooker's incapacitation. The one time I heard this question addressed was a video by the Civil War Trust saying that Jackson would have organized a late night assault that'd fail; though I can't trust this as they go on to say (as the video compares this incident to Longsteet's Incident at the Wilderness), that in the case of Longstreet his planned assault would have succeded, even though it would have suffered the same problem as Jackson's by the logic they gave.
Thus, I'd like to ask y'all this question? Does his wounding change anything?
Good questions. We used to have a member here who was well researched on the battle and said Jackson’s intention was to slide left and uncover the U.S. Ford, trapping the AoP against the river. Whether he had the manpower to do that I don’t know.

Jackson Corps was pretty much all over the place once they charged into the right flank of the union Army. I can see them making a move to prevent the AoP from using the U.S. Ford but I do not see them making it where the AoP would have had to surrender.
The main damage was already done, it would have been a more of a complete rout for the Confederate Army but not a war ending battle.
To me the key or "what if" would have been Jackson at Gettysburg..........

Good questions. We used to have a member here who was well researched on the battle and said Jackson’s intention was to slide left and uncover the U.S. Ford, trapping the AoP against the river. Whether he had the manpower to do that I don’t know.
That was his intention, but I don't think it possible, at least after the 1st Corps reached the field. I actually don't think Chancellorsville would have ended much differently than it did.

That was his intention, but I don't think it possible, at least after the 1st Corps reached the field. I actually don't think Chancellorsville would have ended much differently than it did.
I’m thinking the same thing too. Of course you never could depend on Hooker making the right choice if the A.N.V did attack the next day with every intention of destroying the A.O.P.

I live in the area and believe that giving the terrain around US and Ely’s ford Jackson would definitely have had an advantage on Hoiker had he been able to move left. However the lack of roads to do that would have been difficult- federal s were in strong force on all the good roads which would have made getting in position on US ford difficult and time consuming ( it’s already dusk at the time of the wounding).
I don’t think not getting would have changed the outcome ..... but I definitely think Jackson at Gettysburg would have.

I respectfully disagree, but we're only talking hypotheticals anyway. On May 3, Hooker had the I and V Corps sitting on Stuart's left flank, and there's indication he was planning to use them before he was concussed.
We will probably never know (as you say, hypotheticals). Meade and Reynolds wanted to attack, I am not convinced Hooker did.

What if Hooker didn't suffer a bad concussion early on May 3? Had just as profound an impact on the battle.
I have heard the argument from Sean Chick that the concussion is what lost the Union the battle in the end.
Considering its a random event, planning anything on the assumption it would happen as historical would be foolhardy.
So, this gives the possibility of Hooker taking the Grant option and starting Overland Campaign 1863, except Jackson is fully capable of combat operations.

Back