Sheridan Jackson/Sheridan-- Hammer Time!!

5fish said:
The list of non-notables of generals shows that Jackson went against a B-list of generals.

Doesn't change the fact that Jackson was an "A" list general. Who did Sheridan beat? The only reason Early is well known is he was a Virginian in the ANV. He screwed things up royally at Gettysburg. At Five Forks the confederate generals were at a shad bake.

5fish said:
Banks was sent to New Orleans a back water of the war,

No, in fact New Orleans was an important posting, especially since clearing the Mississippi to the North of New Orleans was a major military objective.

5fish said:
Mcdowell end up in CA.

California wasn't important? He got there in 1864, not in 1862.

McDowell was breveted a major general in the regular army due to his actions at Cedar Mountain.

5fish said:
Fremiont was sent home never to get a command again,

Not as a result of this action, but rather as a result of insubordination against Lincoln.

5fish said:
Shield's resigns,

The only person to inflict a tactical defeat on Jackson.

5fish said:
Milroy survived tell the end of the war.

The point is Jackson campaign was impressive and accomplished it's goal but shows the union had a whole bunch of B-rated leaders to start the war with.

The campaign was brilliant. 17,000 men against over 60,000, coming out victoriously. That's a great feat.

Regards,
Cash

5fish said:
The list of non-notables of generals shows that Jackson went against a B-list of generals. Banks was sent to New Orleans a back water of the war, Mcdowell end up in CA. Fremiont was sent home never to get a command again, Shield's resigns, Milroy survived tell the end of the war.

The point is Jackson campaign was impressive and accomplished it's goal but shows the union had a whole bunch of B-rated leaders to start the war with.

Notice at the beginning of the war the confederate Generals became household names but by the end of the war it was the union Generals becoming household names. Winners get the headlines!

Actually Little Phil is one of my favorite Generals and I admire him greatly but are you not forgetting a couple of things? Routed at Chickamuaga and wooped by Wade Hampton at Trevailen Station? Everyone has their warts. And he just barely got the best of Early.

Generally Sheridan performed well just as Jackson did and Jacksons Valley campaign is a military masterpiece regardless of his opposing generals.

However that said IMO Sheridan was more my kind of General than Ol' Tom.

Ruffie!-- Cash!

Borderruffian said:
Actually Little Phil is one of my favorite Generals and I admire him greatly but are you not forgetting a couple of things? Routed at Chickamuaga and wooped by Wade Hampton at Trevailen Station? Everyone has their warts. And he just barely got the best of Early.

Generally Sheridan performed well just as Jackson did and Jacksons Valley campaign is a military masterpiece regardless of his opposing generals.

However that said IMO Sheridan was more my kind of General than Ol' Tom.

Hey, but he caught Grant's eye at Chattanooga and at Trevailen Station he remember he had to catch Grant before he crossed the James (LOL).

Like you said, everyone has their warts.

This is to CASH; On matter how you cut it those generals that faced Jackson are on anyone's B-List or less.

5fish said:
On matter how you cut it those generals that faced Jackson are on anyone's B-List or less.

The generals who faced Lee, until Grant, were on the "B" list also. The generals Grant faced in the West were on the "B" or less list.

It doesn't diminish the genius of the "A" general facing them.

Regards,
Cash

Seeing what the new members think about Jackson's and Sheridan's rolls they play in the war...
Here's a shot.

Jackson and Stuart functioned well in the 19th century army of Virginia. Their successes - which are substantial by any measure - owe substantially to the physical and cultural geography of their theater of operation but an even greater debt is owed to the capacity of Lee to eke the most out of them. This is Lee's true genius: getting the flamboyant Stuart and the ascetic Jackson not only to get along, but to respect each others' gifts.

Longstreet, Sheridan, Grant, Sherman, Hampton, and many others would have (and some did) perform well in other theaters with other commands, or indeed with other armies.

There is a study available here - the "handcrafted" eccentric genius squaring off against the solidly capable professional.

Back