The Peninsula jackson at seven days

nitrofd

Retired User
my interest in the ACW is centered arround the war in the west,but i do have a nagging question "What happened to jackson at seven days.i'm sure all the/members and guest can fill me in.in advance THANX

D

Deleted member 8452

Jackson and his soldiers were exhausted by the time they joined Lee's army, and you can't blame them, they had just fought 6 battles (winning 5 of them) in the Valley and had been marching Up and Down the Rugged Blue Ridge Mountains, fighting off Union armies that outnumbered them. That exhaustion gave the Confederate Army lost opportunities and created staggering losses for Lee's Army. Jackson failing to come in time for Mechanicsville, getting lost at Gaines Mill, and arriving at the battle late, (though Jackson's men would help the Union line break) which caused the only Confederate victory to be a very bloody and long battle. (the battle ended due to darkness and it started in the early afternoon, with the confederates suffering about 8,000 causalities to the union's 7,000 ). And worst of all, his lack of participation at Frayser's Farm made what could a been a decisive victory for the confederates into a stalemate. And Malvern Hill was just a senseless slaughter, nothing was achieved by Lee's army and instead they took 5,000 causalities. But Jackson did bring one thing to Lee's Army during the Seven Days campaign, and that was his presence. McClellan was worried upon hearing that Jackson's army had joined Lee's and that ultimately put him in a position where he would withdrawal despite superior terrain and numbers. Luckily, Jackson would redeem himself in other campaigns with the ANV.

diane

Retired User
Jackson wasn't exactly at the top of his game. Mechanicsville might be blamed, too, on A P Hill's notorious impulse as well as Jackson's lack of communication. Hill didn't know what to do after he waited and waited...so he fought! I also think some of Jackson's poor performance might be blamed on Lee - Lee learned the hard way that Jackson needed to understand clearly what was expected of him and he would do it. If it wasn't clear to him, he would go by what was written in his orders...period! And, too, he was recovering from one of his ugly chest colds. That sure didn't help.