First Bull Run Jackson at 1st Manassas

subace914

Cadet
We've all heard the story of Jackson standing "like a stone wall" at Manasssas, but apparently there are differing versions of the story. For example, my brother read the book "I Rode with Stonewall" by one of Jackson's aids ( I can't remember the name). In that book, the author claims that Barnard Bee made the statement after he was wounded, and while he was dying on the field, not as a rally before he charged. Also, he writes that Bee said "there stands Jackson's Brigade like a stone wall", not referring to Jackson alone. I was wondering if you all know any more, or any place where I could research that subject?

Hadn't heard that one, subace. In all the books I've read, the authors have confessed that they couldn't be sure what Bee meant.

Interesting observation. Thanks. And welcome aboard.
Ole

From what I read Bee's statement was toward Jackson, now if it was a compliment or a insult will never know. But from what I read Bee said it before he was wounded.

The book was by Henry Kid Douglas, published in the 1890s from his actual war diary. A number of posters on this site feel that Douglas was not the most accurate of observers and that some of his "recollections" are just wrong. Nonetheless, he may have witnessed it or heard it from someone who did. There are several versions of the quote. It's also interesting to read news accounts of events such as the killing of Zollicoffer in Ky, to see how they evolve from the first mention to the last word to filter down. Of course when Douglas was writing the final edition of his book, he was able to make use of hindsight.

I hate that I read stuff and then promptly forget what I had read...

Having said that, did Jackson give the credit to the brigade? That they bore the name 'Stonewall' and he just happened to go along for the ride, so to speak.

Back