Jack

Roanoke

Cadet
Jack was another horse ridden by General Ulysses S. Grant

His son, Frederick Dent Grant told of Jack:

"... when my father was taking his regiment from Springfield. Illinois, to Missouri, he encamped on the Illinois River for several days. During the time they were there a farmer brought in a horse called "Jack." This animal was a cream-colored horse with black eyes, mane and tail of silver white, his hair gradually becoming darker toward his feet. He was a noble animal, high spirited, very intelligent and an excellent horse in every way. He was a stallion and of considerable value. My father used him until after the battle of Chattanooga (November, 1863) as an extra horse and for parades and ceremonial occasions. At the time of the Sanitary Fair in Chicago (1863 or '64) General Grant gave him to the fair, where he was raffled off, bringing $4,000 to the sanitary Commission."

After Gen. Grant was made a brigadier General (August 8,1861), he purchased a pony for his son, Frederrick, and another horse for himself for field service. At the battle of Belmont (November 7,1861), this horse was killed under him and he took Frederick's pony. The pony was quite small and General Grant, feeling that the commanding general on the field should have a larger mount, turned the pony over to one of his aides-de-camp (Captain Hyllier) and mounted the captain's horse. The pony was lost in the battle.
I have not been able to find the names of any of these three Grant horses: 1) Grant's war-horse killed at Belmont 2) Grant's son's little pony that the general rode at Belmont 3) Cap. Hyllier's horse that Grant rode at Belmont. I am almost sure that the first horse that was killed under him was Rondy, my last posted horse. I have no proof but if Rondy was Grant's first war-horse, the time line really fits. I have no idea about the names of the other two so if any of you Grant experts out there know the names of these two horses, please let me know.

The #40 post on this web site is Grant's horse, Fox. There is no story posted so I will tell the brief story that Grant's son told about this horse. "The next horse that my father purchased for field service was a roam called "Fox," a very powerful and spirited animal and of great endurance. This horse he rode during the siege and battles around Fort Donelson and also at Shiloh"