Jacinto Courthouse: Where History still lives...

In the courtroom as defedents or plaintiffs? :smile:
Regards
David
Lol . Probly defendant knowing my bunch . But seriously , that place was everything as far as government . You paid taxes there , land probate , and could even get hitched . All the election results began there . It was town to so many .

Having had the opportunity to have finally visit Jacinto and the courthouse, I was struck with how small it is inside

The 1st floor rooms, 4, are the same floor plan as the Lafayette county courthouse that was rebuilt in 1872 after the original one was destroyed in 1864 in a Federal raid. It has been reported the new courthouse is the same size as the original

But they much smaller and coupled with the original brick floor it presents a more realistic size I would expect in 1836

The folks in the surrounding area, including @MS2623 and @16thAL, have done a wonderful job of restoring not only the courthouse but the community!!!
Regards
David

Having had the opportunity to have finally visit Jacinto and the courthouse, I was struck with how small it is inside

The 1st floor rooms, 4, are the same floor plan as the Lafayette county courthouse that was rebuilt in 1872 after the original one was destroyed in 1864 in a Federal raid. It has been reported the new courthouse is the same size as the original

But they much smaller and coupled with the original brick floor it presents a more realistic size I would expect in 1836

The folks in the surrounding area, including @MS2623 and @16thAL, have done a wonderful job of restoring not only the courthouse but the community!!!
Regards
David
Thank you sir . These historical places are worth saving . Not only for our ancestors but the generation to come . Proud to say that my grandson has stood on the same boards my GGG grandfather did .

Kind of like the pepper, spelled Jalapeno but pronounced Halapeno.
Its pretty common in most of America for towns to have their Spanish names pronounced in anglicized fashion.
Eldorado Arkansas, New Madrid Missouri, Villa Rica Georgia are just a few of many examples.
Even down in Austin Texas near you, Guadalupe street is pronounced "Guad a loop"
And who properly pronounces "Valero", as in gas station/convenience store?
I have never heard anyone call it "Balero?"

Its pretty common in most of America for towns to have their Spanish names pronounced in anglicized fashion.
Eldorado Arkansas, New Madrid Missouri, Villa Rica Georgia are just a few of many examples.
Even down in Austin Texas near you, Guadalupe street is pronounced "Guad a loop"
And who properly pronounces "Valero", as in gas station/convenience store?
I have never heard anyone call it "Balero?"
Actually in Spanish it really is "Guad a loo pay". The locals you speak of are the gringo locals.and not the Mexican locals, right? I guess you know Austin's motto is "Keep Austin Weird" and they are doing a bang-up job of it.

Last edited:
Been there a couple of times. A lot of kinsfolk that lived in Tishomingo, Tippah, Alcorn county. I had to just sit and think how many of them would have been there.
BTW there is a really good catfish restaurant in Booneville.😜

Actually in Spanish it really is "Guad a loo pay". The locals you speak of are the gringo locals.and not the Mexican locals, right? I guess you know Austin's motto is "Keep Austin Weird" and they are doing a bang-up job of it.
Yes, "Guad a loo pay" is obviously the actual Spanish pronunciation, as opposed to Austin's "Guad a loop"
That was my point.
I was also pointing out that mispronunciation of the Spanish names is not confined to North Mississippi.

But you can also take note that French Lafayette (lah fay ett) in Louisiana becomes (lah fay it) as a town in Northwest Georgia and a county in North Mississippi.

In North Mississippi, Jacinto is pronounced as Jay Sinner as per @16thAL
Regards
David

True, on your point.You'd be surprised how butchered some pronunciations have become.
I don't think any word is intentionally butchered, but only local speech patterns apply.

Example:

That North Mississippi town south of Shiloh ( Corinth) is pronounced by most Mississippians as, Corinth.
However many locals pronounce their hometown as " Koe rinth" or "Ko'rinth".

But I digress, I still have yet to visit the historic Jacinto Courthouse.

I don't think any word is intentionally butchered, but only local speech patterns apply.

Example:

That North Mississippi town south of Shiloh ( Corinth) is pronounced by most Mississippians as, Corinth.

Or some here change it coranth . It happens .

Example:

You come to Corinth holler, slug burgers on me !

Back