Jacinto Courthouse: Where History still lives...

MS2623

Corporal
* Assistant *
CWT-PRESENTER
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
20210912_135720.jpg
20210912_135825.jpg
20210912_135932.jpg
20210912_135615.jpg

Jacinto Mississippi was a little town that was founded in 1836 and was named after the battle of San Jacinto in the Texas Revaluation. It was the county Seat for the Tishomingo Territory then later turned into Tishomingo County which encompassed most of north Mississippi. It had a population of about 2,000 people. The community included shops, stores, doctor, hotels, churches, lawyers, and sheriffs and the only sitting court in north Mississippi. The bustling community flourished until the arrival of the railroad in 1854. The demise of the town came in 1854 when the railroad was built 15 miles west to create a new town called Corinth , of which the battle of Shiloh was fought over. The original 1836 federal style courthouse still stands and is about to undergo a full scale restoration back to original.

1854 is mentioned several times in the history of Jacinto.1854 is also when this courthouse was built. Oh , it's a Spanish name, the J is pronounced as a H. " Hacinto".
1854 is mentioned several times in the history of Jacinto.1854 is also when this courthouse was built. Oh , it's a Spanish name, the J is pronounced as a H. " Hacinto".
Nobody here says it with an h . It has always been known as Jacinto

Then you get to the Llano Estacado pronunciation and Refugio. Lots of wiggle-room for locals.
The old double L. There is a biography on this forum that mentions a person being wounded by an Indian arrow on the "Yano" before the war. For those who don't get the gist, a double L in Spanish is pronounced like a Y.

Thanks for the photo tour !

I'm glad plans are in place for restoration.
Although I've never visited this historic Court House, it was always on by "history bucket list" during my years at Ole Miss.
But for whatever reasons back then, that road trip never materialized ...

This Court House is almost identical to some structures down here in Southwest Mississippi of the same era.
But the federal style of architecture was "the fad" everywhere back in the 1830's.

The demise of the town came in 1854 when the railroad was built 15 miles west to create a new town called Corinth , of which the battle of Shiloh was fought over .
So many towns down here suffered the same fate based upon railroad construction.
Other towns were hit twice ... when a river changed course.

Oh , it's a Spanish name, the J is pronounced as a H. " Hacinto".

Very true.

But use a Spanish word in North Mississippi, and within a few hours ... it will become an entirely new word that any Spanish speaker would never understand !

:bounce:

I still have more pics to post just run out of time last night,

I'm looking forward to your other pics.

Fantastic thread and great photos! Looking for more.
Regards
David

It is still hard to describe the feeling being on those historic boards . Thinking about my ancestors being in there . I am so glad this part of history will be saved .
Very well said !

My ancestors were in Southwest Mississippi since the end of the Spanish Colonial West Florida Era.
But, they had never been into North Mississippi until the weeks before Shiloh (70 years later) .

But yeah, I know what you're saying.

In the South, it's easy to take historic buildings and such for granted. But when we step back and realize we're in a "room"
at a church or house that hasn't changed since 1834, .... it does give one a different perspective.

At least me anyway.

Last edited:
Back