J.I. Mumper Historical Gettysburg photograph

pamc153PA

Major
Forum Host
I just bought a J.I. Mumper half tone photo of the High Water Mark at Gettysburg. There is no stamp on the back, but there is an embossed "J.I. Mumper" and the Mumper Studios mark and address at the bottom of the mat. It's a 4 by 6 photo on a 5 by 7 mat, not new, and with just light wear on a corner and at the bottom of the mat.

I know that Mumper worked with R.C. Miller to publish Historical Views of Gettysburg, and in the book, all of the half tone photos were credited to Mumper. The publish date is 1906, which would fit, because Jacob Ira Mumper took over from his father Levi in 1895, and ran the business until 1911, when he gave it to his brothers Clyde and John. Jacob Mumper went on to be the "custodian" of the Jennie Wade Museum.

My puzzle is this: in the Historial Views book, the very first photo is of the High Water Mark, the Batchelder tablet monument flanked by the cannon and the Copse of Trees behind it. The photo I bought is very similiar--the trees look the same as far as their growth, it looks to be the same season and even about the same time of day (similiar shadows)--but my photo is from a slightly different angle, a few yards closer, and had three young men in it. Two of them are wearing bicycling outfits with knickers, and the third is in a suit. Otherwise, I'd say it was almost the same photo!

I can't seem to find my photo anywhere online, though. I don't really care about if the price I paid was fair, because I really like the photo, and I'd never seen it anywhere before. And I'm 99% positive it's a Mumper. Mostly, I'd like to find out who the men were, and when it was taken--was it taken, as I suspect, at the same time the Historial Views photo was?

Any idea where I should look? I'll take any help I can get! I'd scan the photo and post it, but of course my scanner isn't working. Thanks ahead of time from any of our photo experts, or general historical geniuses!

Nathanb1

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
I can't seem to find my photo anywhere online, though. I don't really care about if the price I paid was fair, because I really like the photo, and I'd never seen it anywhere before.

:nah disagree: YOU talk about ME? You need to go back to school, too, lady.

(I can't wait to see what they'll have for sale at the "Treue to Der Union" thing this weekend! Comfort is known for its antiques!)

randelk

Cadet
Could you post a picture of the picture? I have a photograph of the High Water Mark at Gettysburg with the J.I.Mumper stamp on the back and my great grandfather is one of the people in it. It also has "#118" written in pencil by the stamp. Could be that you have another print.

Mike Serpa

Major
From: http://genforum.genealogy.com/mumper/messages/59.html

Posted by: David A. Mumper Date: December 18, 2000 at 14:02:32
In Reply to: "MUMPER" photographer, Gettysburg by Rich of 86

Levi Mumper (1843-1916) opened a photographic gallery in Gettysburg c.1864. His imprints generally read, "L. Mumper" or "Mumper & Co.". He moved to Littlestown, PA in 1869, returning to his former Gettysburg studio in 1874. Most of Levi's battlefield scenes appear to have been taken beginning in the mid-1870s. He sold the photographic business to his son Jacob Ira Mumper (1867-1923) c.1895. Jacob continued the business, using a predominant imprint of "J.I. Mumper", until 1911, when it was taken over by Jacob's brother Clyde (1879-1967). Clyde and another brother, John A. (1874-1957) operated the business until it was closed in 1948, using the major imprint "Mumper Studios".

pamc153PA

Major
Forum Host
Could you post a picture of the picture? I have a photograph of the High Water Mark at Gettysburg with the J.I.Mumper stamp on the back and my great grandfather is one of the people in it. It also has "#118" written in pencil by the stamp. Could be that you have another print.

Well, that was my plan, but our scanner isn't working at the moment, and I haven't been able to find the photo online anywhere. Working on getting it scanned!