J. Johnston Sherman J. E. Johnston died of pneumonia because of his respect at W. T. Sherman's funeral.

People of those times thought that malaria was transmitted by swamp fumes. They had no idea it was the mosquitoes.

A wealthy planter from the low country would often spend the summer in the mountains or piedmont of South Carolina to get away from the malarial swamps with their noxious fumes.

dvrmte

It's not transmitted by swamp fumes?

The guy who had the bucks sent his wife and children, if not himself, north. Rhode Island, I think I've read, was a favored summering spot.

Different strokes. Personally, I prefer my mosquitoes to black flies. Do New Englanders have black flies? Do Alaskans have mosquitoes that can carry off your puppy? I'm quite happy to not have an alligator in my back yard. Is that a tornado?

For our southern friends, the black fly that lives in the northern regions around the lakes are a small fly that chews and makes blood run. Not a bump that itches, scabs. And they gather in clouds. If you want to visit northern Wisconsin, do call ahead and make sure you're not there during black fly season. Mosquitoes are annoying; black flies will put you in the happy farm.

No. It's not. Pneumonia is very much like drowning in the fluids your own body floods into your lungs. Not much you could do about it then. Was it Lister or Jennings that found antibiotics? I disremember.

There was an axiom in the older days that the second time you got pneumonia, if you survived the first, you died.

We have a current problem in that what people died from then what has a name now. Father's twin brother died from "milk fever." What was that? A distant cousin died from "heat stroke." What was that?

So is dispepsia irritibowel syndrome? Or was it just the runs from eating fresh fruit?

As much as I try to understand where they were and what they thought, I can't get there from here. I paid $40 in 1957 cash money for a '49 Ford. I got that money by setting pins at 10 cents a line and milking cows at 0-dark thirty and chasing girls and doing all that other stuff that teeners did. But I wasn't a teener in 1862. It was a different time and a different place. I can only imagine what it was like; and all the books in all the libraries are not going to put me there.

For our southern friends, the black fly that lives in the northern regions around the lakes are a small fly that chews and makes blood run. Not a bump that itches, scabs. And they gather in clouds. If you want to visit northern Wisconsin, do call ahead and make sure you're not there during black fly season. Mosquitoes are annoying; black flies will put you in the happy farm.

Also, Black Fly bites can itch for weeks.

The only redeeming quality is that Black Flies have a shorter window on time in the North than mosquitoes do in the South.

dvrmte,

That's interesting about the swamp fumes. I'm told my grandfather always had his hot whiskey toddy every morning, which was a shot of whiskey, lemon juice, honey and hot water. It was only recently I found out the planters used to drink a toddy before they went out to the fields in order to prevent sicknesses. I guess it was their version of antibiotic! (Granddad died of pneumonia, by the way...)

It's not transmitted by swamp fumes?

That took me by surprise as well. Who wooda thunk?

Do Alaskans have mosquitoes that can carry off your puppy?

Indeed they do and there are billions of the biggest mosquitoes you have ever seen.

Indeed they do and there are billions of the biggest mosquitoes you have ever seen.
...which can kill you. They can also transmit different kinds of equine encephalitis; it is possible that my horse died from this, although I did not have a necropsy done. (What difference does it make, etc.)

Back