J.D. Husbands, Jr., US Navy, And Dog

LoyaltyOfDogs

Sergeant Major
Official Vendor
JD Husbands, US Navy, w dog.jpg

It's not often that we see a Civil War photo of an identified soldier or sailor with his dog, but here is one from the Library of Congress. J.D. Husbands, Jr., served aboard the USS Western World and had previously been with the 13th New York Infantry as quartermaster. The photo is dated c. 1862-63.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 134709

It's not often that we see a Civil War photo of an identified soldier or sailor with his dog, but here is one from the Library of Congress. J.D. Husbands, Jr., served aboard the USS Western World and had previously been with the 13th New York Infantry as quartermaster. The photo is dated c. 1862-63.
Thanks for posting!
A great photo with so much character: A sailor and a sea dog!

I'm not sure I've ever seen one of the formal portraits, with their dog! How cool is that? Only downside is awakening the desire to know his name.

Great eye, Mike- what made you think ( know ) it's from that collection?

I'm not sure I've ever seen one of the formal portraits, with their dog! How cool is that? Only downside is awakening the desire to know his name.

Great eye, Mike- what made you think ( know ) it's from that collection?
It is a nice problem-free photo. Like all the photos donated by the Liljenquist family that I'm familiar with.

Back