Modern Jägerschnitzel

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
if you come to germany under no circumstances order a jägerschnitzel in what has been the german democratic republic - you'll end up with breaded and fried jagdwurst quite often with noodels and a horrible tomato sauce (that sauce is made of all purpose flour, sugar and tomato paste - in that order!)

this is a german recipe for it (they even use tomato ketchup) - the picture i used is theirs

Last edited:
if you come to germany under no circumstances order a jägerschnitzel in what has been the german democratic republic - you'll end up with breaded and fried jagdwurst quite often with noodels and a horrible tomato sauce (that sauce is made of all purpose flour, sugar and tomato paste - in that order!)

this is a german recipe for it (they even use tomato ketchup) - the picture is used is theirs
I have often had this over the years but not here in North Florida as they no nothing but bologna and grits.

Here its usually veal cutlet with red wine and mushroom sauce, I love it
well, in the former western germany it's more or like as in the recipe in th op. we got rid of the canned mushrooms though (thanks again to the eu) and most people use leftover gravy/sauce from roasted pork as a basis (you obviously don't use veal then). people who have (and trust ) them use mushrooms right out of the forest (i have my brothers hunt them, my mother clean and dry them and then i go looking for them in my mom's food locker)

there is however a big discussion whether it should be beer or vine (i prefer dark sweet beer) - the other big discussion is breaded or au naturel (i'm not decided on that)

water, boullion and corn starch are not necessary if you use gravy/sauce and beer (or vine) with red vine you need a little (brown) sugar to break it (no idea how that is called in us-kitchen parlance)

in bavaria you also don't use oil. you use butterschmalz (some sort of partly dehydrated butter which allows you to put much more heat on it - it's expensive but definately worth it)

there are nonames, but they aren't much cheaper as they come from the same factory (somewhere near nürnberg)

Last edited:

archieclement

2nd Lieutenant
Here have seen it on menu as jager schnitzel usually with other types of schnitzel listed, but have seen it listed as Schweineschnitzel, then you choose the jager sauce

not a big cabbage/kraut fan, when I find a place that offers jager schnitzel with german potato pancakes I'm :dance:

Last edited:

2/241

First Sergeant
in bavaria you also don't use oil. you use butterschmalz (some sort of partly dehydrated butter which allows you to put much more heat on it - it's expensive but definately worth it)

there are nonames, but they aren't much cheaper as they come from the same factory (somewhere near nürnberg)
actually a suburb of Fürth

german potato pancakes
what in drei Teufels Namen is that supossed to be? Swiss Rösti?

Last edited:
When I had the great fortune to be deployed to Germany, this quickly became one of my favorites...or was that Jaegermister...or both. :wink:

Anyway, I enjoyed it when I was in Stuttgart and Kaiserslautern...

Cheers,
USS ALASKA
come on, gi.s can't spell kaiserslautern - say k-town (as you all do); and it's jägermeister :D

USS ALASKA

2nd Lieutenant
...come on, gi.s can't spell kaiserslautern - say k-town (as you all do); and it's jägermeister :D
What?!? G.I.?!? I'm no Army puke! I was a wing nut! USAF! For heavens sake - G.I.! Shocked - Shocked and appalled I am, sir! :wink:

Trying to be respectful to the parent country and not be another colonial philistine... and dang it - I knew I spelled that wrong...I guess after having 27 shots of that, my memory of how it was spelled is faulty...and I don't know how to do umlauts with my computer. So I can't spell Husker Du and Blue Oyster Cult properly... :yellowcarded:

Cheers, ( Literally!)
USS ALASKA

Thanks for posting this @Stiles/Akin, sounds and looks delicious!

My son, Greg, received his ancestry results last week and found that he is 50% Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, France, Luxembourg, and Netherlands. So anything German, or in that region, gets my attention, and also the fact that I like to cook...and eat.

Copied and added to my CWT recipes :wub:

2/241

First Sergeant

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)