I've visited Shiloh twice....

Garandguy

Private
The first time was just before the Park closed. The sun was going down, casting shadows on the battlefield. We had bought the CD that explains everything about the battle, but not every thing...

DSCN0313.JPG

DSCN0315.JPG

DSCN0316.JPG

DSCN0317.JPG

Hey Guys. I'm retired and am always looking for a reason to make the 1-hour drive to Shiloh. I'm not an expert on the battle but I may be able to guide you to some of the sites you otherwise could miss.

Shiloh.JPG

I'm checking out the two artillery pieces manufactured in Memphis, Tenn. Always have a Reference Book with me.

I wish everyone had the opportunity to visit Shiloh and the Corinth Civil War Interpretive Center! They are fantastic locations for history and beauty
Like @DixieRifles i am also always looking for reasons to drive 2 hours to the Park. In fact that is how @Desert Kid and I first met.
Regards
David

The first time was just before the Park closed. The sun was going down, casting shadows on the battlefield. We had bought the CD that explains everything about the battle, but not every thing...

View attachment 318467

View attachment 318468

View attachment 318469

View attachment 318470
The statues of three women in morning for their sons,husbands,and brothers who died their is a monument to their sacrifices which the women of the South gave not wiling but to the belief in what these men believed in .Contrary to today's belief not all Southerners possessed slaves or believed in the system but went for their own beliefs be it a belief in what they had been taught by their families or political leaders or for their country{state or region}.

while on the Shiloh trip, you really should try to get in Corinth and Davie's Creek. Might even have a 'small' chance of getting Tom Parson to give you a tour. Even if you can't get Tom, the visit to the VC is outstanding.

The statues of three women in morning for their sons,husbands,and brothers who died their is a monument to their sacrifices which the women of the South gave not wiling but to the belief in what these men believed in .Contrary to today's belief not all Southerners possessed slaves or believed in the system but went for their own beliefs be it a belief in what they had been taught by their families or political leaders or for their country{state or region}.
I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've cried since becoming an adult, and I'm 63. When I saw this monument, I cried like a baby...

Great thread. I was fortunate enough to enjoy many visits to Shiloh when I was a Boy Scout. My family also spent a lot of summers at the Land Between the Lakes region when I was young. Needless to say, I availed myself of any and all opportunities to visit the parks at Ft Donelson and Shiloh.

I did Corinth and Franklin back in 2000....
Franklin - so much changed l since 2000 … and since I was there long after 2000 .. I personally took sledge hammer to the pizza hut … the Dominos pizza is gone now Cotton gin site saved and amazing to see get on google maps ..

May we never forget

Franklin - so much changed l since 2000 … and since I was there long after 2000 .. I personally took sledge hammer to the pizza hut … the Dominos pizza is gone now Cotton gin site saved and amazing to see get on google maps ..

May we never forget
There was a gap of nearly ten years between my first and second visits to Franklin. The changes were both tremendous and very welcome. Thanks to everyone who played a part in that effort.

In addition to more prominent sites like Franklin, the more obscure and less visited historical sites connected with the war have had a profound affect on me. I still remember my first visit to Ft Davidson as a kid. That giant crater and the story behind it was a major driver in my early interest in the subject.

May we never forget
Now if only the city of Franklin & the Civil War Trust would build the replica of the Cotton Gin like they were supposed to do for the 150th anniversary, but I don't think it's going to happen at this point sadly, for whatever reason.

Back