NF I've run out of Civil War movies to watch!

Non-Fiction
This film is oft maligned for the nasty editing job done after director John Huston turned the movie over to the studio. Audie Murphy is always a plus but it is interesting to note that another WWII icon, Bill Mauldin, also appears in it.
Yes you've got quite a point there. I hate when movies get butchered! But still an interesting watch.

If you've run out of movies to watch on this period...then make your own movies!!! haha! Back as a kid in middle school my friends and I used a camera and made our own movies and it was a lot of fun.
When my daughter graduated high school we gave her a video camera for a present, delivering it to the gas station she worked at until midnight. She made phone calls from work, assembled a cast & crew and had finished shooting and editing "The Zombies of Ann Arbor" by sunrise the next day. It can be done.

When my daughter graduated high school we gave her a video camera for a present, delivering it to the gas station she worked at until midnight. She made phone calls from work, assembled a cast & crew and had finished shooting and editing "The Zombies of Ann Arbor" by sunrise the next day. It can be done.
Wow, I'd like to see this movie! If you go to youtube and type words like: civil war fan film, you'll get results that have some home fan made movies on this period. Your daughter should post "The Zombie of Ann Arbor" movie on youtube if she wishes. I would definitely check it out.

Wow, I'd like to see this movie! If you go to youtube and type words like: civil war fan film, you'll get results that have some home fan made movies on this period. Your daughter should post "The Zombie of Ann Arbor" movie on youtube if she wishes. I would definitely check it out.
My daughter had a stalker in college who broke into her place and stole all her movies, pictures and more. So no YouTube.

Unless I missed it, I haven't seen "Sommersby" mentioned. It's based on a true story, thought the original story is not set in the Civil War, as this film is. The historical background--as compelling a tale as Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet," though the story line of this doomed romance is very different--took place in Medieval France and was originally dramatized in "The Return of Martin Guerre." Until checking "Sommersby" on IMDB just now, I hadn't known that two of its writers had worked on "The Return of Martin Guerre." That explains how the Civil War version managed to follow the original French tale so faithfully. I also see in the Wikipedia entry on "Martin Guerre" that filmmakers continue using that story for movies set in later conflicts. Like "Romeo and Juliet," it's a tale worth retelling.

Rusk County Avengers, maybe this could help you find more movies:

I just finished reading Gary Gallagher's Causes Won, Lost, and Forgotten: How Hollywood and Popular Art Shape What We Know About the Civil War. The above book was mentioned several times in the endnotes. Professor Gallagher describes it as an annotated list running from the late 1800s to 1961 with 868 entries including theatrical and documentary films. A large majority are productions from the silent era.

Here's another book from the endnotes that might be of interest:

There are a lot of nice blurbs in Amazon's ad copy for the above. Here is a full book review from LSU:

Not exactly CW, but the series "Underground" ends Season 2 with one of the leads arriving at Harper's Ferry to do her part for John Brown. Unfortunately there is, as of yet, no Season 3.

No. I spent some nights in her bushes but to no avail.
So sorry for late reply, I've been away for awhile until now.(I only use my computer when I'm at home for the internet, never my phone except weather reports) You're a good man and father and to be on the look out protecting your precious child. Though the stalker may be gone but it's a relief to know he/she did not come back again.

I'm sure it's listed already as this thread is 9 pages long, but the 2012 movie Lincoln is a pretty good movie in that it's not only entertaining but is heavily laden with bits of history.

Amazing news! The two Salvatore brothers in The Vampire Diaries became vampires in 1864 meaning plenty of Civil War flashbacks. And there are 8 seasons of it!
vampdiaries106-4.jpg

1643602960868.jpeg

6OLMBQ4YQOPVELWEYA5QXKD2JQ.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 8.26.08 PM.png

He's....what a 2nd Lieutenant in the infantry?

te_States_of_America_Second_Lieutenant-Cavalry.svg.png

(yes I know this is a cavalry insignia but that's what wikipedia had)

Last edited:
Okay kind of a light hearted thread, but also one looking for help. I tend to keep a healthy amount of DVD's around, (the whole modern streaming thing comes in handy, but I prefer a private hard copy), and yesterday as I was sitting down to work, I realized I had no movies I cared to watch as I've seen them all multiple times.

When I get to work on something, whether it be repairing an old gun, or making a CW uniform, I like to have something CW era to watch, or a Western, but I've seen everything in my library of movies so many times, I'm burnt out on them and need a break. Instead of seeking therapy I'm doubling down. So what does everyone else recommend? Now I don't feel like naming off everything I have, but I can say I have a very large collection of CW movies, westerns with a CW storyline in them, and CW documentaries. So basically y'all name it, and I'll say whether or not I have it.

Just for laughs I have one movie I've not watched in years, "The Last Confederate: The story of Robert Adams" I bought years ago when I was kid, but seeing how horribly off the Confederate uniforms in that movie are, (I was able to see they were off before I even seriously started studying them), along with so many other inaccuracies and needing to watch something as I finish making a Confederate frock coat, yeah I'm not sure I can do it. Its easily been ten or twelve years since I watched that one, and I'd have to be very desperate to watch it. Also I have most famous CW movies handy.

Let me hear y'alls thoughts. Working on stuff is getting boring without anything to watch.
I don't know if somebody mentioned this but Ride with the Devil is on Youtube.

I don't know if somebody mentioned this but Ride with the Devil is on Youtube.
And I have it on DVD. Excepting maybe a small handful of older 1960's era films I got them all. I'm pretty sure I've seen all of them.

Oh, and Field of Lost Shoes. Never seen it, and a few weeks ago on a western movie set I got to work with one of the actors in that Field of Lost Shoes, and I'll probably watch it on Youtube. Or get a DVD for my little shop TV, I've kind of been uninterested in it, being fatigued with watching movies set in Virginia, but after working with one of its cast, hearing stories behind it, I guess I have to now.

This old thread really took off.

A follow up on previous post, after having some professionals in the film industry get on my case to, in what very little free time I have I'm dusting off an old idea and trying my hand at writing a CW movie. Lord knows I can get it made now if I put my mind to it.

If you can't find new material to entertain you, get out there and make it yourself I guess.:rofl:

And if you need some very critical proof readers you need look no farther.
I've already made arrangements with a successful director. Plus, that's pretty privileged information...

I aim to use my position as a go to historical consultant, and soon-to-be writer to make sure its the most historically dead-on movie on the CW-Reconstruction era. Hollywood can fiddle with the story all they want, (or really need, a script gets wrote three times), but all the sets, weapons, uniforms, and other wardrobe will be dead on if I have anything to do with it.

May take a year or two for it to be made, but I aim to make it happen. In my very little free time.

Back