bdtex

Major General
★★ Sr. Moderator
Silver Patron
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018 Vicksburg 2019
2020-09-24 09.05.20.jpg

2020-09-24 09.07.26.jpg

This past week,9/24-9/27, I was with our group CivilWarTalk Shiloh Muster. We had official events planned at Shiloh and Corinth on the itinerary and a group optional trip to Brice's Crossroads. By Sunday 9/20, I had finished the last book on Shiloh I had time for. I spent the next 2 nights reading articles and studying maps in back issues of Blue & Gray Magazine on Shiloh, Corinth and Brice's Crossroads. The Corinth Visitors Guide issue had content and maps on the Battle Of Iuka. Didn't know much about it and saw on Google maps that Iuka is only about 30 minutes from Corinth and it seemed a shame to be so close to Iuka and not visit. During the days leading up to our Muster the weather report evolved but the only thing that didn't change was the forecast for Thursday 9/24. It was really bad, 90-100% chance of rain, and I had to alter the itinerary accordingly. The tour had time on Thursday morning and Sunday afternoon left open and built in for members to take side trips. The museum and the Confederate mass grave at Shady Grove Cemetery in Iuka got the nod for Thursday morning. It was a good call. The weather report was totally accurate. Rained all day. There were periods when it stopped for a few minutes here and there but not many. There is a really nice museum in Iuka with some great Civil War exhibits. The staff is very friendly and helpful too. I don't recall whether there was an entry fee or not. If there was, it wasn't much. Me and @Rick Featherston had a great time there.

The inscription on the front of the monument says it was erected by a UDC Chapter in May 1902. Texas and Missouri are inscribed on either side. Not sure why. There is no inscription on the back of the monument.

2020-09-24 09.04.57.jpg

2020-09-24 09.06.02.jpg

2020-09-24 09.05.51.jpg

This Confederate military flatstone is in a rock landscaping strip bordering part of the Museum. According to FindAGrave he is buried in a family cemetery in Tishomingo County. The pictures of the cemetery show the gravesites to be deteriorating. Possibly the flatstone was moved at the request of the family and/or to protect it from theft/vandalism. Ten pages of fold3 records. He enlisted in Co. B, 10th Alabama Cavalry on February 1,1863 for 3 years. He was captured at Huntsville, Alabama on December 23, 1864 and spent the remainder of his CSA service as a POW at Camp Chase. He took the Oath Of Allegiance on June 12, 1865 and was released from prison. The flatstone says Co. K, 11th Alabama Cavalry and the FindAGrave memorial says he was captured in Decatur, Alabama but his records in fold3 say he was in Co. B, 10th Alabama Cavalry and was captured in Huntsville, Alabama. The NPS database has him in the 11th Alabama Cavalry. Not sure what the answer is.

2020-09-24 09.07.03.jpg

Did y'all make it to the Apron Museum?
No ma'am. Went to 2 places I knew of,1 place the Museum staff suggested and stopped at a couple places we saw driving into and around town. That filled up the time we had allotted. We had to meet the rest of the gang at Brice's Crossroads early that afternoon.

In the Museum, there is a diorama of the Confederate lines at the Battle Of Iuka. I'm guessing that the scale is off but what do I know and it still looks good anyway. :D

2020-09-24 10.07.04.jpg

2020-09-24 09.15.27.jpg

Court House Museum is closed on Friday mournings, or at least it was when I passed thru. Hoping they could tell me where the battlefield was. I heard there was an Acoustic Shadow there. Rosecrans and Grant must of been on opposite sides of Woodall Mountain. Any of the locals know if that is what happened?

Getting ahead of myself a little in this thread but since @Ole Miss and @uaskme mentioned it. The ladies at the Museum told us where the "battlefield" was, gave us directions and a landmark to look for and what is there,such as it is. Me and @Rick Featherston went straight there after we left the museum. There are a couple of historical markers at the base of the hill. There is a road you can drive up part way. After that you walk some. There was at least one trail up there. There is a little unmarked cemetery there with a handful of graves. They weren't Civil War era dead. If I had been thinking, I would've taken a picture anyway. The trail went further up the hill past the little cemetery. Gen. Featherston guarded our rear on the trail and I marched on in the drizzling rain. The underbrush was a bit thick off-trail but I followed the trail a bit and then went in the brush anyway just to see what I might see. I was looking for possible earthworks or anything. More wet underbrush and not much to photograph was about it so I abandoned the reconnaissance and rejoined Gen. Featherston. It was fun anyway. My chest was a thumpin'. We went back down the hill and took pictures of the markers. I got more learning to do about the battle before I return to Iuka.

2020-09-24 11.01.11-1.jpg

2020-09-24 10.59.37-1.jpg

Did y'all make it to the Apron Museum?
When I was trying to figure out what might be in Iuka, I believe that is one of the top 10-15 places listed on TripAdvisor for places to visit in Iuka. Pretty sure that is how I found The Old Courthouse Museum too.

In the 11th Ohio marker is listed the “Texas Legion.” Would this be “Waul’s Texas Legion” of Railroad Redoubt fame at Vicksburg?

In the 11th Ohio marker is listed the “Texas Legion.” Would this be “Waul’s Texas Legion” of Railroad Redoubt fame at Vicksburg?
According to the Confederate Forces Order of Battle in the Corinth Visitors Guide issue of Blue & Gray Magazine, it is the "1st Texas Legion(dismounted cavalry)".

Back