Announcement: It's September! Here are some things we can discuss, and two things we won't.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW:REGISTER HERE!

MattL

Comments are appreciated. You want to have a debate about the merits of a slavery forum on CivilWarTalk. I'm not going to do that with you anymore.
Fair enough.

To be clear I'm still not sure what your intentions are with this. Clearly you saw a problem and this is the solution to that problem. I asked what that problem was rather than me assuming it. I still don't know since I can't read your mind and I won't presume to know your thoughts or intentions.

IMHO it seems like there could be two goals or approaches with this

1) Create a slave forum as a space for people to discuss, research, etc slavery without much distraction or interruption by those that don't want to
2) Create a slave forum to exclude slavery as a strong topic elsewhere

Since I don't think you're answering me on your intent (since I've asked 3+ times now and have mostly been insulted in response, apparently I'm dense and someones puppet or something) I'll leave this as my last "comment" towards each of these scenarios since I am left with only my assumptions.

1) I completely understand that and I think it's valuable.

2) I think this is dangerous and by definition segregation. Slavery is a topic that is relevant to massive amounts of other Civil War topics. So if someone responds to a non-slavery forum thread with something involving slavery and they are directed or their post moved to this forum. Why can't I talk about a slave cake in a cake thread (a hypothetical posed by another poster) and how my slave ancestor (or the slave mentioned) got that recipe or formed it which likely would involve talking about slavery as well.

1 is about empowering slave research and heavily slave focused discussion, 2 is about empowering those who don't like seeing the word slavery.

On various topics many peoples inclination is to say something along the lines "ohh how interesting, that looks like a great cake recipe from the era, let me share this thing about my own ancestor" and anyone with Black heritage (or speaking to a Black individual of the era) will naturally run into many things that tie back to slavery since it dominated even many of the mundane aspects of their life. It's convenient to separate slavery out of various American historical conversations Civil War era or earlier, this is not a convenience descendants of slaves always have. Even as someone white (as white as they come) with Black ancestors it's not a convenience I always have.

Also you can't completely remove slavery from a State's Rights discussion or State's Rights from a slavery discussion since the primary State's Right that both sides fought over were about slaves. So I don't envy enforcing this strategy (if indeed my assumptions are correct).

Paired with the ban on the entire topic of slavery this month It feels like you are more aligned with #2 (not that they are mutually exclusive goals), then again I could be completely wrong. If I'm right I respectfully disagree with this strategy on various points already made. If my assumptions or wrong I genuinely hope it works well for you. This is the last you will hear from me.

ivanj05

First Sergeant
It's your forum, and you can do what you want with it. I'm skeptical of this for many of the reasons mentioned above, and I can't say that the responses here have done anything to make me less skeptical. But, we'll have to wait and see how it shakes out.

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
We'll see how it works out, hoping for the best. There may have to be some adjustment here and there, but I'm sure all will be well once we get used to it.

I see only one potentially serious problem: divorcing Slavery from Secession. That seems an outright gift of SecessionTalk to the Slavery deniers. They can talk endlessly about the canaries in the elevator, but nobody's supposed to mention the elephant.

JerseyBart

Brigadier General
Forum Host
Let's put it this way...the volunteer moderation staff needed a bit of a break from the constant bombardment with approvals, complaints, reports, childish behavior from adults etc. from these threads. The threads weren't banned for good. We needed a break. They'll be back. Simple enough. Thank you to @CivilWarTalk and @ami for pulling the moderation staff out of that fire for a bit. To those who don't understand, please volunteer your services to be a moderator. Thank you to the many understanding members. But is that okay with those who need to know? If not, feel free to bring it up, just go get, on other civil war forums.

Moderator JerseyBart

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
Owner & Webmaster
Seems to me, those members of CWT . . . that are obviously emotionally distraught about the new forums . . . need to go back and read everything from the beginning.

If relevant to the thread, slavery conversations will still be permitted no matter the forum.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure Mike or Ami will correct me.
I might not exactly phrase it that way. Conversations that touch on slavery will be permitted anywhere in the forum. Conversations focused on slavery should be started or will be moved to the Slavery forum. But otherwise, yes, you were pretty close.

However, I don't think this will make any of the "Concerned Parties" happy because I'm takes away all their favorite fun things to do.

They don't get to preach to the masses, unless they actually manage to start creating content that people want to look at.

They don't get to derail other peoples content even if they agree with them, they can't insert themselves and preach their gospel as they want you to believe it.

They can't rewrite the rules of the game so that you have to play the game on their turf. Everybody has a safe place to discuss what they want to discuss without worry of being trolled by other members. These members don't believe this is how the game is played.

I'm in charge of the whole forum, and well, this doesn't sit well with this group either.

Oh well.....

For the records, while the new talks apparently aren´t completely implemented yet the alerts for new posts in watched/participated threads on those new talks are working and also shown in the usual spot on the main civilwartalk.

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
Owner & Webmaster
For the records, while the new talks apparently aren´t completely implemented yet the alerts for new posts in watched/participated threads on those new talks are working and also shown in the usual spot on the main civilwartalk.
I think I moved at least one thread that was bumped in the history forum into the new forums, and yes, the permissions may not all be set the way they will be when I’m finished....

ErnieMac

Brigadier General
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Let's put it this way...the volunteer moderation staff needed a bit of a break from the constant bombardment with approvals, complaints, reports, childish behavior from adults etc. from these threads. The threads weren't banned for good. We needed a break. They'll be back. Simple enough. Thank you to @CivilWarTalk and @ami for pulling the moderation staff out of that fire for a bit. To those who don't understand, please volunteer your services to be a moderator. Thank you to the many understanding members. But is that okay with those who need to know? If not, feel free to bring it up, just go get, on other civil war forums.

Moderator JerseyBart
It has been a pleasure not to awaken to double digit numbers of threads to approve and half as many reports about the ones approved. The breather is greatly appreciated.

ivanj05

First Sergeant
I might not exactly phrase it that way. Conversations that touch on slavery will be permitted anywhere in the forum. Conversations focused on slavery should be started or will be moved to the Slavery forum. But otherwise, yes, you were pretty close.

However, I don't think this will make any of the "Concerned Parties" happy because I'm takes away all their favorite fun things to do.

They don't get to preach to the masses, unless they actually manage to start creating content that people want to look at.

They don't get to derail other peoples content even if they agree with them, they can't insert themselves and preach their gospel as they want you to believe it.

They can't rewrite the rules of the game so that you have to play the game on their turf. Everybody has a safe place to discuss what they want to discuss without worry of being trolled by other members. These members don't believe this is how the game is played.

I'm in charge of the whole forum, and well, this doesn't sit well with this group either.

Oh well.....
I like your forum. You run it however you like, that's your perogative. But, it would be nice if you didn't assume everyone with some qualms about this is acting in bad faith.

WJC

Brigadier General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
Often 'new' is challenging to us. Most of us are uncomfortable with change. I can only suggest that we all calm down until the 'finished' product is available, use it and give our feedback. All too often the anticipated change is more threatening than the actual change. I do not believe 'the sky is falling': let's wait and see!

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
Owner & Webmaster
I like your forum. You run it however you like, that's your perogative. But, it would be nice if you didn't assume everyone with some qualms about this is acting in bad faith.
I wouldn’t take every comment I made personally, unless you have some reason to feel some guilt over your past actions on the forum... but I wasn’t directing my comments at you specifically.