Announcement: It's September! Here are some things we can discuss, and two things we won't.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW:REGISTER HERE!

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
Owner & Webmaster
1567594296434.jpeg

It’s time for some SEPTEMBER Anniversary Events! Here are some events the staff are looking forward to discussing over the next weeks....

Battle of South Mountain on the on the 14th

Battle of Antietam on the 17th

Battle of Chickamauga starts on the 18th

We also have some BIRTHDAYS to think about!

Hiram C. Berdan's on the 6th

Joshua Chamberlain's on the 8th

Henry Jackson Hunt's on the 14th

Plus, I hear there is talk that the 2020 Gettysburg Reenactment is currently not being planned, so, look for that discussion!

So we think you will find CivilWarTalk will be a busy place!

Two topics that we aren’t discussing are SLAVERY AND BLACK CONFEDERATES.

For the month of September we are putting the breaks on any discussions with this as the main topic.

These issues seem to be the hot topic at the moment for some, however if you think there is more to say (we don’t see what else you could possibly say that hasn’t already been said), we feel you can find lots of great venues made for discussing these topics.

We want to get CivilWarTalk back to discussing the Civil War.

We like to keep our forum as a refuge against the crazy machine that churns outside and when we read a newspaper or visit a website and we all cringe over current events we can’t believe keep happening. When you can’t bring yourself to browse Facebook or Twitter because of the foul stories being shared, think of this forum!

CivilWarTalk is here to give you a place to get away from all that.

Any threads that stray into these restricted topics may be locked. If you start a new thread about one of these topics, it will be merged into a single thread with all the rest of the new threads that break this moritorium. Breaking this rule repeatedly will bring warnings, so don’t do it!

Lubliner

First Sergeant
I am grateful for all the Hosts and Moderators do; and yes it is a pleasant moment to escape from the turmoil outside and begin to wonder how so and so, and the other too are doing; and many members can take that personally from me. I think about you all in making a brighter day, to me.

But please! We cannot leave out Kentucky! Let us not repeat the same mistake from 1862, if you are Yankee blue.
Bragg would have to fight it out up there alone.
Lubliner.

bdtex

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018
I would add the Allegheny Arsenal explosion on 9/17/1862 to the list. Just ordered a book on it. Doubt I will receive it,have it read and be able to review it by the 17th but we can still post about the event.

bdtex

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
It’s time for some SEPTEMBER Anniversary Events! Here are some events the staff are looking forward to discussing over the next weeks....

Plus, I hear there is talk that the 2020 Gettysburg Reenactment is currently not being planned, so, look for that discussion!

For the month of September we are putting the breaks on any discussions with this as the main topic.

These issues seem to be the hot topic at the moment for some, however if you think there is more to say (we don’t see what else you could possibly say that hasn’t already been said), we feel you can find lots of great venues made for discussing these topics.

We like to keep our forum as a refuge against the crazy machine that churns outside and when we read a newspaper or visit a website and we all cringe over current events we can’t believe keep happening. When you can’t bring yourself to browse Facebook or Twitter because of the foul stories being shared, think of this forum!

Any threads that stray into these restricted topics may be locked. If you start a new thread about one of these topics, it will be merged into a single thread with all the rest of the new threads that break this moritorium. Breaking this rule repeatedly will bring warnings, so don’t do it!
You forgot Sabine Pass on the 8th.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer

So Sept 22 will not be marked.

bdtex

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
So Sept 22 will not be marked.
I'm guessing 1-2 folks will post something about the Battle of Fisher's Hill on 9/22/1864.

Rusk County Avengers

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Two more September birthday's - General Earl Van Dorn, September 17, 1820, and more importantly, MINE - September 21, 1967
I think MY birthday is more important-September 25, 1989 :bounce:

Its also the death date in 1951 of one Joseph Edward Johnson McAlister of the Spanish-American War 1st Texas Infantry, who almost shot Fitzhugh Lee while on picket duty during that war, and was my G-Grandfather.

WJC

Brigadier General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
So true!

Dead Parrott

Private

Great idea!

Cavalry Charger

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Well, from another September baby (1st), I'm looking forward to enjoying my birthday month here :smile:

I do have the rather dubious honour of sharing my big day with the anniversary of the start of WWII.

Glad to see you took the bull by the horns on this one, Mike.

Yankee Brooke

Sergeant
Am I the only one who marked these anniversaries and birthdays on her calendar? I'll be armed to annoy all my coworkers by telling them it's Hiram Berdan's bday, and explaining it giddily when they inevitably ask "who?' Probably equally annoying will be incessant explanation of the Battle of South Mountain or it's anniversary. :bounce:

Steph-GB

Sergeant
Well, from another September baby (1st), I'm looking forward to enjoying my birthday month here :smile:

I do have the rather dubious honour of sharing my big day with the anniversary of the start of WWII.

Glad to see you took the bull by the horns on this one, Mike.
:O it was your birthday!! Well happy birthday Month!!!!!!!!!! We Need more coffee for all this celebrating!! how did you keep that one quiet!!! 🍰🥂