In the Field It Was A Slow But EZ Day

UCVRelics

Brevet Brigadier General
Forum Host
Gold Patron
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Regtl. Quartermaster Stones River / Franklin 2022
This 4 wheeler the farmer is letting me use makes it so EZ to relics hunt this CS camp. It is a massive area and its really hard for me to get around like I use to. Now I just ride thru the field till I find the brick and glass (hut site) get out dig up some relics then repeat. I started in a new section so being able to scope the area and log in the finds on my relic hunting app so I can lay it out and set my grids is just so much easier, plus when I need to sit down and rest its right there along with my ice chest.
IMG_20210210_122455294.jpg
IMG_20210225_114706185.jpg

IMG_20210225_114657221.jpg
IMG_20210225_134244316.jpg

IMG_20210225_132636211.jpg
IMG_20210225_122151622.jpg

These are some nice finds. Living in Michigan Civil War relic hunting would involve a long drive. However, I would guess that not Civil War sites might provide some non Civil War relics.

I've always been curious about the relic hunting process. How do you determine sites to hunt at? In your post you say it was a camp site, how do you know?
Sometimes when I'm reading regimental histories I try to figure out on Google maps where the campsites they mention might be, and its always difficult to figure out.
Also do you just go up and ask the property owners to look around?
I'm just curious (I'm not trying to expose your hunting spots, just wondering the process) sorry for the long post. :smile:

I've always been curious about the relic hunting process. How do you determine sites to hunt at? In your post you say it was a camp site, how do you know?
Sometimes when I'm reading regimental histories I try to figure out on Google maps where the campsites they mention might be, and its always difficult to figure out.
Also do you just go up and ask the property owners to look around?
I'm just curious (I'm not trying to expose your hunting spots, just wondering the process) sorry for the long post. :smile:
In the last 15 years of my 45 years amateur archeology, I decided I was only going research and find virgin camps (unhunted) and all I can say is RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH. I always knew there was a major camp here and I was able to find a diary of a CS soldier that was here and he told me right where it was. The landowners are EZ, you just have to be pure of heart. :D

In the last 15 years of my 45 years amateur archeology, I decided I was only going research and find virgin camps (unhunted) and all I can say is RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH. I always knew there was a major camp here and I was able to find a diary of a CS soldier that was here and he told me right where it was. The landowners are EZ, you just have to be pure of heart. :D
What an adventure! Good for you, I cannot imagine the amount of time you spent researching and how great the payoff must feel. Thanks for your response :smile:

Don't know how I missed this thread. I love your hunt threads. My Cemetery research and visits gives me a little understanding of the thrill you get from relic hunting and finding.

This 4 wheeler the farmer is letting me use makes it so EZ to relics hunt this CS camp. It is a massive area and its really hard for me to get around like I use to. Now I just ride thru the field till I find the brick and glass (hut site) get out dig up some relics then repeat. I started in a new section so being able to scope the area and log in the finds on my relic hunting app so I can lay it out and set my grids is just so much easier, plus when I need to sit down and rest its right there along with my ice chest.
View attachment 392691View attachment 392692
View attachment 392693View attachment 392694
View attachment 392695View attachment 392696
What’s in that ice chest Richard?

Some libations :D

Yes, to each his own. My thrills come from finding documents that are forgotten or ones which only make sense to someone who knows the subject.
And I have enjoyed all your documents. They have helped me locate a bunch of stuff!!!!!

Back