It is now nearly forty-four years since Abraham Lincoln died

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

JAGwinn

Retired User
It is now nearly forty-four years since Abraham Lincoln died. There have been great changes in our country during that time. The South now vindicates Lincoln, and realizes that he was their friend. Peace and good will now prevail between the North and the South, cemented by the blood of Lincoln.

Joseph H. Bradley, chaplain National Soldiers' Home of Virginia, in a communication to the Ram's Horn, quotes from a letter written by General William G. Webb, a Christian ex-Confederate:

"Abraham Lincoln was a great and good man, and was raised up by God to preserve this nation as one and indivisible, and to give freedom to the slaves. As a Confederate, I could not see it; and after our defeat it took me some time to grasp it; but it became very plain to me after a while. God has a great work for this nation to do, and Mr. Lincoln was, like Washington, one of his instruments to prepare the people for this mission which the United States is to accomplish toward the enlightenment, freedom, and Christianization of the world."

I heard a lecture on Abraham Lincoln at Corydon, Indiana, March 17, 1899, by Henry Watterson, the talented editor of the Louisville Courier-Journal and ex-Confederate, in which he said, "If Lincoln was not inspired of God, then there is no such thing on earth as special providence or the interposition of divine power in the affairs of men."

In 1903, the State of Mississippi, the second State to pass an ordinance of secession, and the home of Jefferson Davis, President of the Southern Confederacy, requested Honorable Robert T. Lincoln to furnish a picture of his father to hang in the new capitol building at Jackson. The request was as follows:

"We of the South now realize the greatness and the goodness of the character of Abraham Lincoln, and would honor his memory. Nothing that we could do would add to his fame. We can, however, show our respect and love for him. Permit me, therefore, in the name of the State, to invite you to place a portrait of President Lincoln in the new capitol of Mississippi; that it may symbolize his love for his country, his devotion to duty, and his heartfelt sympathy for the Southern people."

Abraham Lincoln loved the South. He was Southern born. At his last cabinet meeting, on the date of his death, he advised that forbearance, clemency, and charity should be the controlling principles in dealing with difficult problems awaiting practical solution.

from the book :
FOOTPRINTS
OF
ABRAHAM LINCOLN
PRESENTING

Many Interesting Facts, Reminiscences
and Illustrations Never Before
Published
BY
J. T. HOBSON, D.D., LL.B.,​
Author of "The Lincoln Year Book."
Nineteen Hundred and Nine
The Otterbein Press
Dayton, Ohio
Copyright, 1909, by J. T. Hobson

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!