Restricted Isn't the South Great. It would be a shame to erase it.

I'm curious what made you reply to this today? I was just reviewing this thread that has been idle for some time.
If I may answer, it might be because I “liked“ some of CMWinkler's posts a few minutes ago and so draw his attention to this thread again. Maybe.
And I'm glad that “oh gag“ are not the last words in this thread anymore. The thread and the contributors have deserved better.

jgoodguy

Banished Forever
-:- A Mime -:-
is a terrible thing...
Don’t feed the Mime
Reverend McKim speaks from his heart and the response is to respond "Oh, gag." You asserted these monuments were put up to say an expletive to the Union. McKim, I think, effectively refutes that argument but instead of saying, "Yeah, he said that but here are ____ number of speakers of the era which proves my point," but what did we get? "Oh, gag."

IMHO Oh Gag is not worth of response. After all the old time Southerners thought Yankees unworthy of calling out to a dual.

Borderland

Private
My point is there are those who wish to erase all Sothern commemorative appreciation of their heritage. It should not be allowed to happen.

What is "Southern Heritage"?

Isn't that made up of many different things? Doesn't much of heritage have to do with lifestyle and culture? Which of those things are being erased precisely?

It seems to me that in government buildings, it's best not to amplify Civil War personage who were OK with institutional slavery and who encouraged civil rights based on skin color.

None of that seems to be real "heritage". Unless of course you want to define southern heritage as a single war in which the South fought for the wrong ideals. Southerners fought well in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, and both World Wars, so why is "Southern Heritage" determined by a 4-year window of history where politics and war were determined by a minority of slave-owning fire-eaters?

W. Richardson

Captain
Nothing should ever stand in the way of enjoying one's heritage. That does not mean your heritage has to be enjoyed or forced on all.

Are you saying that by having Confederate Statues and or flags on public property, that is forcing my heritage on others and/or forcing them to enjoy it ?

Just for clarification purposes only so as I will no misinterpret it...........

1st National Confederate Flag   1.jpg

Respectfully,
William

RebYell64

Corporal
Heritage is heritage. It's a big word for a lot of things. I have family lineage to the North. That means I have "Northern Heritage"....but I am a Georgian, and therefore the South is also my "Heritage" as it is where I was born, raised, and worked. First and foremost, I consider myself a Southerner.

Should anyone's heritage be erased? No.
Should everyone's heritage be respected? Yes.
past-imperfect-last-of-blue-grey-soldiers-big.jpg

Old_Glory

2nd Lieutenant
Wow. Sad. Fortunately this is not a universally held opinion/mindset.

It is sad that all Americans do not view the history of the Confederacy as important because they do not see it as their own. If you think they do, then I have no earthly idea who you are having conversations with. The norm lately has been to bury it all as deep and far away as possible and label it in every way and manner as disrespectfully as possible.

K Hale

Colonel
Annual Winner
It is sad that all Americans do not view the history of the Confederacy as important because they do not see it as their own. If you think they do, then I have no earthly idea who you are having conversations with. The norm lately has been to bury it all as deep and far away as possible and label it in every way and manner as disrespectfully as possible.
Interesting. I said "Southern" and you heard "Confederacy."

War Horse

Captain
Member of the Year
Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017
What are your thoughts?
I would have to think you are correct. However I've made the same assumption and have been told, it's not so. This would make an interesting thread on its own. Is All Southern history confederate history 1861-1865. You should launch it. I would be interested to learn from other Sotherners their thoughts.

James B White

Captain
Honored Fallen Comrade
I'd say the Confederacy was the elephant in the room for all southerners, so their history is entwined with it, from Robert E. Lee to the enslaved people running to Fortress Monroe, from the CS privates who volunteered eagerly and died bravely in battle to the unionist households shunned and harrassed. The Confederacy affected everyone, if only tangentially.