Isaiah Boles, 53rd Regiment, Alabama Partisan Rangers

After doing some more research I was able to find that my great-great-great grandfather Isaiah Boles served in the 53rd Regiment, Alabama Partisan Rangers. I actually found 7 documents on footnote.com with his name on the company muster roll. It says that it was a mounted cavalry unit but was there anything different with "partisan rangers"? Just another name for cavalry?

I searched and found several sources giving a brief outline of their service. I also found two books "Whetstone, Adam Henry. History of the Fifty-Third Alabama Volunteer Infantry (Mounted). University, AL : Confederate Publishing Co., 1985" and "McLendon, Robert G., jr. History of the 53rd Regiment Alabama Volunteer Cavalry and M. W. Hannon's Cavalry Brigade, Army of Tennessee, C.S.A. (Troy, AL: BlackHorse Publishing, 2007)" but so far I haven't found them online for purchase. Probably a small book out of print.

Any ideas where I might be able to track that down?
Would love a muster call trying to find a larkin Beasley from Coosa Co Alabama
member: 1722"]Partisan Rangers were originally intended to serve in their own local area, often at their own expense. Eventually the Confederate government decided that this seemed to be a way of avoiding regular service and all but a handful of these units were organized into new regiments and often consolidated into existing ones. Mosby's outfit was allowed to operate as partisan rangers for the duration, and then disbanded rather than surrender. If memory serves me, the 53rd Ala served with Wheeler and I think there is a newsgroup website for its modern incarnation.[/QUOTE]

member: 1722"]Partisan Rangers were originally intended to serve in their own local area, often at their own expense. Eventually the Confederate government decided that this seemed to be a way of avoiding regular service and all but a handful of these units were organized into new regiments and often consolidated into existing ones. Mosby's outfit was allowed to operate as partisan rangers for the duration, and then disbanded rather than surrender. If memory serves me, the 53rd Ala served with Wheeler and I think there is a newsgroup website for its modern incarnation.
[/QUOTE]
Would love to find proof he had a confederate symbol on his grave how would I find out his history

member: 1722"]Partisan Rangers were originally intended to serve in their own local area, often at their own expense. Eventually the Confederate government decided that this seemed to be a way of avoiding regular service and all but a handful of these units were organized into new regiments and often consolidated into existing ones. Mosby's outfit was allowed to operate as partisan rangers for the duration, and then disbanded rather than surrender. If memory serves me, the 53rd Ala served with Wheeler and I think there is a newsgroup website for its modern incarnation.
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]
I just ordered a copy of
After doing some more research I was able to find that my great-great-great grandfather Isaiah Boles served in the 53rd Regiment, Alabama Partisan Rangers. I actually found 7 documents on footnote.com with his name on the company muster roll. It says that it was a mounted cavalry unit but was there anything different with "partisan rangers"? Just another name for cavalry?

I searched and found several sources giving a brief outline of their service. I also found two books "Whetstone, Adam Henry. History of the Fifty-Third Alabama Volunteer Infantry (Mounted). University, AL : Confederate Publishing Co., 1985" and "McLendon, Robert G., jr. History of the 53rd Regiment Alabama Volunteer Cavalry and M. W. Hannon's Cavalry Brigade, Army of Tennessee, C.S.A. (Troy, AL: BlackHorse Publishing, 2007)" but so far I haven't found them online for purchase. Probably a small book out of print.

Any ideas where I might be able to track that down?

My name is Tarvah McGinty. I just joined this group, and if you are still active, I can give you some information about purchasing Robert McLendon's book as I just ordered a copy. He is on Facebook under "53rd Alabama Cavalry Resource Page." You can get on his page and send him a message, or if you can't do that, his address is: Bob McLendon, 1305A South Brundidge St., PMB 105, Troy, AL 36081. The book is $40 with shipping.

[/QUOTE]
I just ordered a copy of

My name is Tarvah McGinty. I just joined this group, and if you are still active, I can give you some information about purchasing Robert McLendon's book as I just ordered a copy. He is on Facebook under "53rd Alabama Cavalry Resource Page." You can get on his page and send him a message, or if you can't do that, his address is: Bob McLendon, 1305A South Brundidge St., PMB 105, Troy, AL 36081. The book is $40 with shipping.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Tarvah. I actually bought the book not long after I posted this back in 2011. Thanks for the info though.

I just ordered a copy of

My name is Tarvah McGinty. I just joined this group, and if you are still active, I can give you some information about purchasing Robert McLendon's book as I just ordered a copy. He is on Facebook under "53rd Alabama Cavalry Resource Page." You can get on his page and send him a message, or if you can't do that, his address is: Bob McLendon, 1305A South Brundidge St., PMB 105, Troy, AL 36081. The book is $40 with shipping.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Tarvah. I actually bought the book not long after I posted this back in 2011. Thanks for the info though.[/QUOTE]

Great! We have a mutual ancestor in J. J. Sanders, which is the reason I'm purchasing the book. He is my great-great grandfather, and I was named after his wife, Sarah Tarvah.

Back