Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
1558063566725.png
1558061377464.png

"I want you to write to my mother and tell her that I die for my country and if I had another life to live I would freely give it."

....On consulting Dr. Letterman I thought it advisable to continue my services to the 5th corps, as our men there, had suffered severely, and I learned that there were ladies going to all the other corps. On arriving I found them in a pitiable condition, many of them destitute of food and clothing, among them Capt. B of the 20th [Maine] with 19 of his men, the greater part mortally wounded. Through some delay my supplies had not arrived, however I took a team and made a circuit of many miles, persuading the farmers to contribute bread, butter, chickens and pies, as they had large quantities prepared to sell to our boys, but I talked them out of it and made them give to me, for them and returned with as much as my carriage would contain. One poor fellow of the 20th sent for me and said, "I want you to write to my mother and tell her that I die for my country and if I had another life to live I would freely give it." I asked him if he suffered much, he said, "oh! no, no, I am going to my Saviour, tell her I was 20 years old." Many like scenes occurred......

The 5th Corps hospital was located at the Michael Fiscel Farm, located about 1 1/2 miles southeast of Little Round Top, along Goulden Road, nearby the Michael Trostle Farm on Rock Creek.
1558061536446.png

Isabella Morrison Fogg (1823 - 23 December 1873)
OP Image from Maine State Archives https://www.maine.gov/sos/arc/ Colorized at https://colourise.sg/#colorize
Widowed in 1860, Isabella Fogg supported herself and her son, Hugh, by sewing - tailoring to be precise. In the Spring of 1861, young Hugh joined Capt. Joel Haycock’s Co D 6th Maine and by Fall of the same year, Isabella joined the Maine Camp & Hospital Association in order that she might serve in the hospitals. She was one of the first Maine women to volunteer her services as a nurse. Fogg served in field hospitals on a number of battlefields including Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and Gettysburg, bringing along much needed medical supplies. This article sheds light on her important services after the Battle of Gettysburg.

Although lots of articles and even a book have been written about Isabella Fogg, I haven't run across any that cite this particular account. Perhaps it would be difficult to find? I ran across it by accident, when looking for something else. Washington, July 27 [1863] My Dear Mrs. E.--
1558058712781.png
1558058821822.png

And another letter, printed in the same column, this one dated August 4, 1863.
1558058924293.png

[The Portland Daily Press (Portland, ME), August 05, 1863, page 2.]

Last edited:
I love Isabella! Thanks for posting letters by her, I've never seen one.

Just had a brief search for Col. Lakeman and can't find him because Lakeman trees seem scanty. A Peter can't be he because he's at home July 1st. Lakeman families seem to be in Lubec and Hollowell. Love to know if this man came home.

Captain B. is likely Captain Charles W. Billings of Company C, 20th Maine, who died on July 15 at the Michael Fiscel farm, before his wife and brother arrived.

The mortally wounded Benjamin W. Grant of Company F, 20th Maine was 20 years old, although he reportedly died on July 5. It is the only exact age match among the mortally wounded of the regiment recorded in Busey and Busey's Union Casualties at Gettysburg. Henry C. Sanders of Company B was 19, as was Oliver L. Stevens of Company C and Iredell Lamson of Company H. However, the ages of some of the mortally wounded were not provided.

Incidentally, the only Captain F. in the 6th Maine regiment of Russell's brigade was Capt. Reuel W. Furlong of Company D. In the ranks of Furlong's company was Private Hugh M. Fogg, from Calais, Maine, which was the home town for most of the men in the company (Maine at Gettysburg). Russell's brigade took position in rear of Little Round Top at about 8 p.m. on July 2, and was not engaged.

Thanks for posting, Laura!

Incidentally, the only Captain F. in the 6th Maine regiment of Russell's brigade was Capt. Reuel W. Furlong of Company D. In the ranks of Furlong's company was Private Hugh M. Fogg, from Calais, Maine, which was the home town for most of the men in the company (Maine at Gettysburg). Russell's brigade took position in rear of Little Round Top at about 8 p.m. on July 2, and was not engaged.
So that was Isabella's son, Hugh Morrison Fogg, who was in D/6th Maine?

I love Isabella! Thanks for posting letters by her, I've never seen one.

Just had a brief search for Col. Lakeman and can't find him because Lakeman trees seem scanty. A Peter can't be he because he's at home July 1st. Lakeman families seem to be in Lubec and Hollowell. Love to know if this man came home.
Col. Moses B. Lakeman was colonel of the Maine 3rd Infantry. Yes: he made it home and lived a long and full life in Malden, Massachusetts. He was a member of the Hallowell Lakeman family. BTW: I'd stay away from the online trees--especially on this one: his background is extremely convoluted and I've not seen a single tree that nailed it.

Last edited:
Col. Moses B. Lakeman was colonel of the Maine 3rd Infantry. Yes: he made it home and lived a long and full life in Malden, Massachusetts. He was a member of the Hallowell Lakeman family. BTW: I'd stay away from the online trees--especially on this one: his background is extremely convoluted and I've not seen a single tree that nailed it.

Oh. no worries there. If there's one thing you learn about Ancestry in a big hurry, it's how many creative genealogies are out there. Usually they're trying to connect themselves to someone famous though!

Good to know he made it through the war, thank you! It shouldn't matter 150 years later, for some reason it always does.

Back