Isaac Bradwell Describes the Cornfield & the Death of Col. Douglass

Andy Cardinal

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
From Confederate Veteran, October 1921:

"Our brigade was stretched out in a very thin line, with wide intervals between the regiments, so as to occupy as much space as possible. They were formed in open fields to the west of the road mentioned above, running north of Sharpsburg, and in front of them not more than a hundred feet was a low rail fence. From this fence to a forest to the north was a field of high corn standing very thick on the land. Lieutenant Colonel Crowder, a man destitute of fear, was in command of our regiment. He was ordered to deploy the regiment along the edge of the woods and hold his position as long as he had a man alive to defend it. This was at daybreak. He strung out his men about fifty feet apart wherever he could find protection behind a tree or other object; but these did not afford any shelter from the shells and solid shot coming from the other side of the creek. The artillery fire opened with great fury and must have been the signal for the infantry to advance. They moved forward at the same time in the woods, with several lines supporting one another, fringed in front by skirmishers to develop our position. As these came up the fire of our pickets drove them back on their advance line. So accurate was the aim of our men that they, too, were halted until the second line came up and opened on them. Colonel Crowder was shot and disabled, and so many of the regiment killed or wounded by the artillery and infantry fire that the rest were forced to flee through the corn to their friends in the main line. When they reached the fence and were getting over it -- in more haste than dignity -- they were guyer for coming over in so great a hurry. Many of our men were laughing and saying, "What's the matter? What are you running for?" to which came the reply: "You'll soon see."

Then a grand sight met their eyes. The number of regimental standards floating in the morning air indicated the immense numbers of the advancing enemy. It was a wonderful sight. The remnant of our regiment formed in an apple orchard on the right of the brigade to assist in holding back the hosts of the enemy. Colonel Douglass, fearing the result of an attack by so large a force on his weak brigade, ran from regiment to regiment exhorting the men not to fire until the enemy reached the fence and began to get over it -- to shoot low and make every bullet count.

On they came, crashing down the rank growth of corn, while Hardaway's Battery in rear of our line on a little hill mowed them down with grape and canister, and Stuart's light battery enfiladed their ranks. Wide gaps were torn in the blue lines, but they continued on until they reached the fence and began to get over in great disorder. This was the signal for the Confederates to open. The volley made them stagger and hesitate, but the second line came up, and, despite the fire of the Confederates, the came over and advanced slowly, step by step, and halted only a few steps in front of the Confederates, where they kept up the fight for a short while and began gradually to fall back to the fence. When they reached this, they broke in a disorderly mass towards the woods, while the Confederates helped them on by cheering and yelling.

But Colonel Douglass is badly wwounded, many of his men killed or disabled, and his line is very much weakened. Though wounded in several places and feeble from the loss of blood, he still rushes from regiment to regiment exhorting the men to hold their position, to shoot low, and make every cartridge count, for he knew that this was only the beginning of the struggle.

...When the fugitives reached the woods they were met by fresh troops, and their ranks were beaten into shape for a new effort. And then, after some delay, they came into the open field again with their "huzzas," and the Confederate batteries began their deadly work, while every man in our thin ranks lay low with his gun ready to do or die; and as they enemy approached the fence they opened on them with a fire so destructive that they broke immediately to the protection of the woods. Once more the brave Douglass is wounded, but he managed to stay on foot to encourage his men; and in spite of his wounds and the entreaties of his men, he insists upon remaining with them.

There is only a man every ten feet or more to resist the last and greatest effort of the enemy. Heavy reenforcements have been sent into the woods. These come forward in such numbers that the few Confederates defending the position are beaten back step by step to the reserve line held by General Walker and his Virginians. The eighth ball pierces the body of Colonel Douglass, and he falls helpless in the arms of his soldiers. He begs them to let him die on the battle ground with his men, declaring he would rather die there than in the arms of his wife at home. The brigade, now without a commander, rallied with the reserves and helped to maintain the unequal contest for a time, but these were beaten back into the grove around the church, where they held for a time, but we're finally driven out.

Is this Isaac G Bradwell of Co I, 31st Georgia, Lawton's brigade, Ewell's division, describing the wounding and death of Col. Marcellus Douglass 13th GA? I think Lawton was commanding the division, and Marcellus Douglass was commanding the brigade? If it's the right Colonel Douglass then here are a couple of articles.
1561872406550.png

The Savannah Republican. (Savannah, Ga.), October 01, 1862, page 1.

1561872703685.png

Southern Recorder. (Milledgeville, Ga.), September 30, 1862, page 3.

Is this Isaac G Bradwell of Co I, 31st Georgia, Lawton's brigade, Ewell's division, describing the wounding and death of Col. Marcellus Douglass 13th GA? I think Lawton was commanding the division, and Marcellus Douglass was commanding the brigade? If it's the right Colonel Douglass then here are a couple of articles.
View attachment 313850

View attachment 313851
Yes, Col. Marcellus Douglass and the 31st Georgia. It is hard to find much about Douglass. Or, at least I haven't been able to find much. Thanks for the articles.

View attachment 313850

View attachment 313851

Interesting that the Southern Recorder characterizes the battle of Sharpsburg as a victory. Publishing an official regimental history some 40 years later, officers of the 3rd North Carolina also refused to admit that the battle was a defeat. It is also apparent from the regimental history that those officers considered the fight on the Cornfield to have been the high point of their entire war experience. I am sure there were other officers who felt the same way, on both sides.

Interesting that the Southern Recorder characterizes the battle of Sharpsburg as a victory. Publishing an official regimental history some 40 years later, officers of the 3rd North Carolina also refused to admit that the battle was a defeat. It is also apparent from the regimental history that those officers considered the fight on the Cornfield to have been the high point of their entire war experience. I am sure there were other officers who felt the same way, on both sides.

I've seen men write home shortly after Gettysburg and describe it as a victory. For them, it may have been but I wouldn't use that word for the whole army.

Ryan

Here's a link to abiography of Colonel Douglass from David Welker's Antietam's Cornfield blog.

A report of the activity of the 13th Georgia at Antietam and another version of the death of Col. Marcellus Douglass provided in an undated Letter to the Editor, signed R.H.C., and published in The Savannah Weekly Republican. (Savannah, Ga.), October 11, 1862, page 1.
1650755347905.png

1650755375423.png

[The Savannah Weekly Republican. (Savannah, Ga.), October 11, 1862, page 1.]

A report of the activity of the 13th Georgia at Antietam and another version of the death of Col. Marcellus Douglass provided in an undated Letter to the Editor, signed R.H.C., and published in The Savannah Weekly Republican. (Savannah, Ga.), October 11, 1862, page 1.
<snipped>
[The Savannah Weekly Republican. (Savannah, Ga.), October 11, 1862, page 1.]
Thanks so much for posting those lovely clippings about Colonel Douglass @lelliott19 and @Andy Cardinal !

The last couple of weeks I've been concentrating on the soldiers of the 13th Georgia Infantry at Sharpsburg and just got to Marcellus Douglas today. My updated page for him is here: https://antietam.aotw.org/officers.php?officer_id=857

I've used quotes from all three narratives about his death (1862, 1884, 1921) shared in this thread. They are great for color and feel, and may each be true, in part, but you'll notice that none of them are actually first-person accounts. Caveat lector.

I've long had the impression from my reading about the battle that Douglass was some kind of senior personage in Georgia before the war, but just learned that he was not quite 32 years old when he was killed.

He was very accomplished for his age: he graduated with an AB from the University of Georgia at age 18, had a lucrative law practice by age 22, ran for the US Congress at age 30 (1860), and was one of 2 delegates from Randolph County to the GA Succession Convention (January 1861). And of course was "acting Brigadier General" at his death.

Back