Is Your Favorite Christmas Carol On This 19th Century List?

I have 3 more carols I want to add.

"Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming" which was first published in Cologne, Germany in 1599.

Once In Royal David's City" which was first written as a poem and carol published in 1848.

"Coventry Carol" which dates to the 16th century. My High School chorale group always sang this one at our Christmas program.

It starts:

"Lully, lullay Thou little tiny child..".
The Coventry Carol is beautiful and sad at the same time . I especially like the Robert Shaw Chorale version .

My favorite's probably "O Holy Night", such a beautiful tune. I love "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" as well, I find the lyrics to be so meaningful. One that's not on the list that I absolutely love (was sung at my wedding) is "Beautiful Saviour", love both the tune and lyrics.

My favorite's probably "O Holy Night", such a beautiful tune. I love "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" as well, I find the lyrics to be so meaningful. One that's not on the list that I absolutely love (was sung at my wedding) is "Beautiful Saviour", love both the tune and lyrics.

Merry Christmas Anne!!! Thanks for sharing your favorites with us. I hope you have a holiday filled with wonderful memories and lots of love.

Merry Christmas Anne!!! Thanks for sharing your favorites with us. I hope you have a holiday filled with wonderful memories and lots of love.

Thank you Eleanor! Same to you and yours, I hope your holiday is filled with joy. My family will actually be visiting me for Christmas so I am real excited for that! My sister will be in from NC (Winterville) and my parents and brother from Chicago.

Thank you Eleanor! Same to you and yours, I hope your holiday is filled with joy. My family will actually be visiting me for Christmas so I am real excited for that! My sister will be in from NC (Winterville) and my parents and brother from Chicago.

That's awesome! Does your sister live near Lake Mattamuskeet? I'd like to visit there and see the tundra swans nesting during the winter. We have been there once, but it was in the summer.

I love them all more some than others but regardless

I think of those far from home past and today service members. Christmas has not been the same for me almost 40 years

Not derailing the thread but some in a foxhole, trench or sandbag fort etc… be it deployed or in combat zone & a lot of battles near close to it ... or after.. hits me after all I am Noel

Last edited:
Jingle bells are ringing
But do you know the writer?

Another sad reality this Nation once faced with the family against family
One brother who fought for the Confederate and a brother and father for the Union

The mostly forgotten heartbreaking story of the
The writer of Jingle Bells
James Lord Pierpoint born on the 25th of April 1822 in Medford, Massachusetts
"Jingle Bells" was originally written in 1850, inspired by the annual one-horse open-sleigh races on Salem and Pleasant Streets between Medford Square and Malden Square.

Mr. Pierpont soon moved from the North to join his brother Rev. John Pierpont Jr. who was a pastor of a Unitarian Church in Savannah, Ga.
James Pierpont became a staunch supporter of the Confederacy.

On the other hand, his brother was forced to close his church and return to the North in 1859 due to his abolitionist preaching, Mr. Pierpont remained in Savannah.

When war broke out, James enlisted with the 1st Georgia Cavalry and served as a company clerk.
His father would see military service as well, a chaplain with the Union Army, opposing side

During the War, James wrote Confederate anthems including
“Strike for the South,” “We Conquer, or Die!” and “Our Battle Flag!”
The songwriter remained in Georgia after the war and lived out his final years in Florida before his death in 1893.
He died impoverished and forgotten on the 5th August 1893 at the age of 71

Upon his death At request, he was buried in Laurel Grove Cemetery in Savannah beside his brother-in-law Thomas who had been killed in the first battle of Bull Run 1861
Private Purse, Jr. was one of the first to die for his new country, the Confederate States of America. He was a soldier in Company B, 8th Georgia.

So goes the forgotten heartbreaking story of the
The writer of Jingle Bells

If only James Pierpont knew after over 150 plus years his songs and story about his life are still being told.
This Confederate Veteran Gives to the world probably the most familiar and loved song of all time.
Especially at Christmas
Bringing joy to generations

Another favorite Christmas song for me is "The Twelve Days of Christmas". It comes from early England. It started as a memory game played on Twelfth Night. The song leader would make up a verse and other players would repeat it. The song leader add another verse. The players would repeat and so on.

"The gifts in the song are believed to be symbolic of elements and beliefs in the Christian faith."

They are:

"Partridge in Pear Tree -- Jesus.

Two Turtle Doves -- Old and New Testament.

Three French Hens --- The Holy Trinity.

Four Calling Birds -- Matthew, Mark, Like and John.

Five Golden Rings -- five first books of the Bible.

Six geese a laying -- the six days of creation.

Seven swans a swimming -- the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Eight maids a milking -- the eight Beatitudes

Nine ladies dancing -- nine fruits of the Holy Spirit.

Ten Lords a leaping -- the Ten Commandments.

Eleven pipers piping -- the eleven faithful Apostles.

Twelve Drummers drumming --- the twelve doctrines of the Apostle's Creed."

Information from:

"Favorite Christmas Carols." The Clever Factory.

Just for fun, here’s a list of carols written during or around the mid-19th century.

Angels We Have Heard on High (1862)
Come Buy my Nice Fresh Ivy or O’Carolan’s Lament (1849)
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen (1833)
Good King Wenceslas (1853)
Hark! The Herald Angels Sing (1855)
Jingle Bells (1857)
Joy to the World (1839)
O Christmas Tree (1824)
O Holy Night (1847)
Silent Night (1859)
We Three Kings (1863)
What Child is This (1865)

Is your favorite traditional carol on the list? Whether it is or isn't, please share your favorite carol with your CWT friends! I'll start us off. My favorite is "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day." This carol is based on the 1863 poem "Christmas Bells" by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. It reflects the despair of hearing Christmas bells during the American Civil War. I love that it ends with the bells ringing renewed hope for peace among men.

I have just heard this olde carol, (as performed by Annie Lennox) and others. See link: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...A68F06404264EEC6DB5BA68F06404264EEC&FORM=VIRE

and it is haunting and strange, but very beautiful.

I have several favorites based on the version performed . Robert Shaw Chorale for many . I like to listen to "Silent Night" in German . I never cared for "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" until I heard an amazing version by spiritandtruthart on YouTube . Lots of Civil War images and I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it .

I LOVE "Silent Night" sung in German. So wonderful! Also LOVE!!!, "oh Come All Ye Faithful" sung in Latin. Beautiful!

Another favorite Christmas song for me is "The Twelve Days of Christmas". It comes from early England. It started as a memory game played on Twelfth Night. The song leader would make up a verse and other players would repeat it. The song leader add another verse. The players would repeat and so on.

"The gifts in the song are believed to be symbolic of elements and beliefs in the Christian faith."

They are:

"Partridge in Pear Tree -- Jesus.

Two Turtle Doves -- Old and New Testament.

Three French Hens --- The Holy Trinity.

Four Calling Birds -- Matthew, Mark, Like and John.

Five Golden Rings -- five first books of the Bible.

Six geese a laying -- the six days of creation.

Seven swans a swimming -- the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Eight maids a milking -- the eight Beatitudes

Nine ladies dancing -- nine fruits of the Holy Spirit.

Ten Lords a leaping -- the Ten Commandments.

Eleven pipers piping -- the eleven faithful Apostles.

Twelve Drummers drumming --- the twelve doctrines of the Apostle's Creed."

Information from:

"Favorite Christmas Carols." The Clever Factory.
The total number of gifts received is 364. One for every day of the year except Christmas!

Back