Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Dogs

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Neither

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Both

Votes: 11 25.6%

• Total voters
I’ve three cats and four dogs, the cats don’t communicate that well but they do enjoy tripping me up especially at feed time, what is it with cats! They come home in the morning after a night out on the tiles, they’re usually soaking wet from a good old fashioned British downpour and then decide that the back of my leg is an excellent place to rub their cold wet fur on, anyone would think that I never feed them, they go crazy as soon as they hear me open their food container, sometimes I can’t hear myself think with all of their pathetic meowing. I tell you what really grinds my gears about cats, it’s their snooty arrogance, anyone would think that they own me. As for my dogs, they’re dumb, nothing smart about them at all, they won’t even play fetch, human throws the ball, human gets the ball.

Lucky, that particular neighbor tolerates the cat. Some might think "target practice."
My cats are strictly indoors--and the "target practice," etc. of others is one of the reasons. I've seen teens vie with each other to run cats down (a friend once lost her German Shepard puppy to a man who deliberately hit the dog with his car). Animal abuse is tolerated and, even if the culprit is caught and dragged into court, it rarely results in more than a slap on the wrist.

This is what greets me when I pull in the driveway: a nice assortment of Northern and Southern Kitties. The white one came from Mass., the black one came from Connecticut, and the other two are from North Carolina. Brendan, being deaf, usually doesn't hear me pull into the driveway, so he's not in the picture (and he's originally from New Hampshire)..

20200503_085557.jpg

Last edited:
My cats are strictly indoors--and the "target practice," etc. of others is one of the reasons. I've seen teens vie with each other to run cats down (a friend once lost her German Shepard puppy to a man who deliberately hit the dog with his car). Animal abuse is tolerated and, even if the culprit is caught and dragged into court, it rarely results in more than a slap on the wrist.
Your cats are very lucky to have you to care for them, @Fairfield! And I agree, laws that protect animals don't go far enough in punishing people who are convicted of cruelty or neglect.

I never had a cat as I've had dogs for years now. I'm on my fourth dog and a my dog cemetery out the back yard for my friends that have passed on. I am fond of cats as my grandma always had one when she was alive. I would be very worried owning a cat as they are a very independent creature compared to dogs. She once had a beautiful ginger cat it had the most beautiful coat you've ever seen. I pass by her home now and again and her last cat is still hanging around outside like a sentry.

Last edited:
I never had a cat as I've had dogs for years now. I'm on my forth dog and a my dog cemetery out the back yard for my friends that have passed on. I am fond of cats as my grandma always had one when she was alive. I would be very worried owning a cat as they are a very independent creature compared to dogs. She once had a beautiful ginger cat it had the most beautiful coat you've ever seen. I pass by her home now and again and her last cat is still hanging around outside like a sentry.
It has been my long experience that dogs and cats in the same household get along nicely. Dogs seem to be able to differentiate between their cats and outsiders. If not buddies, they at least tolerate each other--but when the winter temperatures drop, they do form strategic friendships.

Back