Is This Supposed to be a Union Captain's Frock Coat

John Van

Cadet
Just bought it from someone on Nextdoor for my son's school play.

It's very detailed and well-made. Not assuming that it
20190222_103653.jpg

is the real deal but am I right that this is supposed to be a captain's coat?
Thanks in advance.
20190222_103618.jpg

Welcome From The Heart Of Dixie. Just from the 2 photos its way post CW. A closer look at the button fronts would reveal they are the Great Seal buttons?
1550889554709.png

Just bought it from someone on Nextdoor for my son's school play.

It's very detailed and well-made. Not assuming that itView attachment 293728
is the real deal but am I right that this is supposed to be a captain's coat?
Thanks in advance.
View attachment 293726
Welcome to the forum from Central Ohio. You are correct, the sleeve braid would indicate this was a Captain's frock coat however, this is the 1902 pattern frock coat. It appears the collar is white in color which would indicate infantry. Very nice example, it appears to be authentic but it's hard to say for sure from the pictures you posted.

Welcome! I'm no expert, but from what little I know I don't believe it is Civil War or immediate post-Civil War. Looks turn of the century. Certainly a great costume item for a school play and maybe much more.

IMHO, that's absolutely an authentic 1902 pattern Captain's frock coat. The collar actually appears to be a faded pale blue in the new image which still indicates infantry. Look through the interior of the coat, in the pockets, etc. There may be a maker's label or some other tag that tells you who the coat belonged to. Congratulations on finding such a nice piece of history.

Back