Real or Faux? Is this model #1858 canteen real or fake?

Ellen19731

Cadet
I just bought this model #1858 canteen on ebay for $170. I'm hoping it is real. It was supposedly found on the Gettysburg battlefield and was being sold as a combat relic. It has a pewter spout.

canteen.png

canteen2.jpg

canteen3.jpg

From your photos looks right as rain. I can't say anything about the Gettysburg link. Look on the spout real close and see if you find a makers mark.
1580156621696.png

I just bought this model #1858 canteen on ebay for $170. I'm hoping it is real. It was supposedly found on the Gettysburg battlefield and was being sold as a combat relic. It has a pewter spout.

View attachment 343918

View attachment 343919

View attachment 343920
What you have is certainly original and early M1857 pattern canteen, these primitive no lip canteens were believed to have been either produced very early for the Philadelphia Depot or a state contract. The collar and spout were very unreliable and the pattern was changed in early 1862. They are not exceptionally rare since they were produced in large numbers, but they were used early in the war so surviving examples are not as plentiful as others. Very nice pick up, though it would be very difficult to prove it was used at Gettysburg, though it could be a captured canteen used by the South...…...

What you have is certainly original and early M1857 pattern canteen, these primitive no lip canteens were believed to have been either produced very early for the Philadelphia Depot or a state contract. The collar and spout were very unreliable and the pattern was changed in early 1862. They are not exceptionally rare since they were produced in large numbers, but they were used early in the war so surviving examples are not as plentiful as others. Very nice pick up, though it would be very difficult to prove it was used at Gettysburg, though it could be a captured canteen used by the South...…...
Is there a way to tell if it was Union or Confederate? What type of material is it made of? Thanks

Back