What is this? Is this CSA Buckle real?

NCArmadillo

Cadet
I found this CSA buckle metal detecting at my family's 100-year-old farm in NC.

I know there are some older reproductions that were made, can anyone verify this one is the real deal?
Thanks!

IMG_4235.JPG

IMG_4236.JPG

Hello @NCArmadillo and welcome to CivilWarTalk - the best place on the internet for Civil War discussion. You've come to the right place to verify whether or not your buckle is an original. We have some experts here who will be able to tell you. While we wait for them to drop in on your thread, can you please take some additional pictures of the buckle? Including from the side - so they can tell how thick it is -- and a couple more in various light (with the light from the side and directly overhead.) Did you clean it up at all? If so, some pictures of the front and back after you dusted it off would be great.

Hello @NCArmadillo and welcome to CivilWarTalk - the best place on the internet for Civil War discussion. You've come to the right place to verify whether or not your buckle is an original. We have some experts here who will be able to tell you. While we wait for them to drop in on your thread, can you please take some additional pictures of the buckle? Including from the side - so they can tell how thick it is -- and a couple more of the back in various light (with the light from the side and directly overhead.) Did you clean it up at all? If so, some pictures of the front and back after you dusted it off would be great.

I haven't done any cleaning on the buckle yet, I'm not sure what to even clean it with.

I haven't done any cleaning on the buckle yet, I'm not sure what to even clean it with.
Good deal - dont clean it at all until the experts weigh in. But if you can take those additional pics they'll be able to tell you more. Let me page some of them for you so they are sure to check this thread first thing when they log in. @ucvrelics @Lanyard Puller @Package4 can you guys please take a look at this buckle for our new member and let him know what you think?

Congratulations on a great find. What you have found is what we refer to as the Atlanta style plate. It's real and has all the tell signs with the prong pull marks on the front. When these were cast, they were cast with the prongs pointed up and before it cooled they were bent down which caused the points on the front as in the photo of one I found years ago. Very nice find and leave it as is. As you can see mine still has most of the dirt still on it as that is Confederate dirt.
1599488605037.png

Congratulations on a great find. What you have found is what we refer to as the Atlanta style plate. It's real and has all the tell signs with the prong pull marks on the front. When these were cast, they were cast with the prongs pointed up and before it cooled they were bent down which caused the points on the front as in the photo of one I found years ago. Very nice find and leave it as is. As you can see mine still has most of the dirt still on it as that is Confederate dirt.
View attachment 373011
Thanks Richard. That's GREAT news for @NCArmadillo ! Did this version not have the beveled edges on the prongs?

View attachment 373011
Awesome thanks for verifying!

Did this version not have the beveled edges on the prongs?
None of these were cast with beveled edges. If the finisher took the time to file them when he removed the rough spots of the casting then you might see some.
csarectangle-2ucvrelics.com.jpg

Back