is this cap time period

Yep, I agree. It ain't English is all I can say.

French, n'est-ce pas? Again not an expert at this, just my opinion from the manufacturers lbel.
Yeah, apparently manufactured in France, but the actual cap could be from a Belgian Infantry Company or a local Luxembourg civic group.

@mrMcfindings, we love these mysteries !

There's a very good chance our experts will solve the identity of your mystery cap.

This reminds me of when (with a team effort) the members at CWT solved the Venezuelan kepi puzzle.

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/origin-of-a-civil-war-looking-cap.93668/#post-779140

:laugh:

this photo also came with the hat

20190211_065328.jpg

20190211_065344.jpg

20190211_065336.jpg

20190211_065347.jpg

It appears to be a French made piece possibly for the American market, due to the word "Americain" in the label. The hat is not ACW period, but not too far off circa 1870-90. The honey colored sweatband is a give away.

I think the cap may have been a dark blue at one time, but a poor dye and oxidation has turned it the present color. I think this due to the black thread used in the upper part of the cap, brown thread would have been used to match top color. I have an IW period cap that is the same color after heavy oxidation, so much so that it was originally presented to me as a butternut confederate kepi.

I do not know why but my first impression was a railroad cap. My main reasoning was it is not US Army and not too many militia units would have that high of regimental number.

The photo, by a Boston photographer, is labelled "John Nason, Capt., Co. A, 1st Battalion, E.N.S." No idea what "E.N.S." stands for, but there was no Capt. John Nason in any Mass. unit during the Civil War. Possibly a post-war militia unit.

Don't know what to make of the uniform. Nothing familiar. Braid shoulder boards, and with a large "3" (reversed) on the front of the kepi.

Back