Is this an unpublished CDV of Gen Lee?

JohnOrtegae

Private
This came from a Civil War collection I am working through. I can not find a similar example of this calling card. Oh...and just when I think I figured out how to orient the pictures properly, I realize I didn't! Sorry.

20190109_132745.jpg

Last edited:
Richmond Daily Dispatch, June 3, 1871:
Very likely these were not the only photos of Gen. Lee the Gallery issued. It also issued cdvs of other celebrated persons.

More on John Woodburn Davies: http://www.lva.virginia.gov/public/dvb/bio.asp?b=Davies_John_Woodburn

The article says that "In 1864 Davies photographed Robert Edward Lee, about the same time he published 'The Lee Schottisch.' His single bust-length image of Lee, showing a weary general with heavy bags under his eyes, a closely cropped beard, loose-fitting shirt collar, and sloppy, drooping tie, proved wildly popular." Not sure if this is a description of the OP photo or another one. Maybe there are competing claims as to who photographed it?

More on John Woodburn Davies: http://www.lva.virginia.gov/public/dvb/bio.asp?b=Davies_John_Woodburn

The article says that "In 1864 Davies photographed Robert Edward Lee, about the same time he published 'The Lee Schottisch.' His single bust-length image of Lee, showing a weary general with heavy bags under his eyes, a closely cropped beard, loose-fitting shirt collar, and sloppy, drooping tie, proved wildly popular." Not sure if this is a description of the OP photo or another one. Maybe there are competing claims as to who photographed it?

Thank you for all of your information, research and time! I am a picker/antiques dealer. There are times when I handle items so awesome, that one, I research before selling, but two, I share for others to see before they are off into a collection never to be seen again! I would have included some of this information when I listed this photo last night. Man this is great!

I would say that this photo is Vannerson's as I saw another that is the exact pose attributed to him. I think the description of Davies does not match in that he says the collar is loose and the tie is sloppy. I am not sure what their idea in that time would be as to close cropped beard was, but to me his beard is a long.

I am at my shop right now, but what I found very exciting is reading the Davies info you shared. I wish I could grab the album right now, but in it, there is a Confederate music sheet published by Davies. I will have to check to see if it is the same Davies!

Thank you again for your research and sharing with me!

Back