What is this? Is this a civil war artillery shell, or part of one?

Harleybiker

Cadet
15C4BC83-0920-461F-A846-E17DD147FBBB.jpeg

John Winn

Major
However, I’m fairly sure it isn't a finial. It is about the size of a fist, but probably weighs at least five lbs. it is made of some type of iron. There are grooves on each side like some of the artillery rounds ive seen. Thats why i questioned that.
You are most welcome. The grooves to which you refer are probably indentations seen on mortar rounds and rounds for very large guns that allowed them to be picked up with tongs. Those on your piece aren't such.

I don't know what you have but it does look like iron fence finials I have seen in a number of historic places. It certainly looks decorative (vs simply functional). It'll make a good doorstop !

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
What's the BOTTOM of it look like? If it's a finial it would likely have a threaded hole there.

Welcome to the forums from the host of the Stonewall Jackson Forum!

Harleybiker

Cadet
You are most welcome. The grooves to which you refer are probably indentations seen on mortar rounds and rounds for very large guns that allowed them to be picked up with tongs. Those on your piece aren't such.

I don't know what you have but it does look like iron fence finials I have seen in a number of historic places. It certainly looks decorative (vs simply functional). It'll make a good doorstop !
Funny you should say that. Exactly what its been used for the last fifty years. Lol

Harleybiker

Cadet
The photo of the bottom appears to show a partially hollow, cast iron ornament.
It does kind of look hollow in the pic, but that is just a small void probably caused during casting. Believe me, it is solid all but that one very small area. Like i said before, it weighs at least five lbs, and maybe six or seven.