Is there much to see at South Mountain battlefield?

Heading off on an ancestors' battlefield walk at Gburg and VA next week... am considering taking in Turner's Gap, etc... but...

Is there much to see at South Mountain battlefield?

Thanks! Clay

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Don't know, never been...but Antietam and Harper's Ferry are close by, and I will vouch for both of them.
thanks Kel!

Definitely got Harper's Ferry on the "to do" list

(had 2 cousins in the 115th NY captured by Stonewall there, PLUS -- better yet -- my 2nd great grand uncle was with the 8th NY Cav when they made a dashing escape from Harper's Ferry as the Rebs were closing in).

And Antietam is always a great and deep visit... cheers, clay

DRW

Sergeant
Yes, you can spend a great half day exploring the gaps. The countryside is very rural and scenic. Start at Washington Monument state park for the exhibit on the battle and to pick up a brochure/guide (or get hold of one of the several good guidebooks first). Also take time to walk up to the Washington monument for the view. Drive around Fox and Turnee gaps and then head south a few miles to Camptons Gap and the Correspondents monuments. It's a great visit in good weather.

Buckeye Bill

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Yes, you can spend a great half day exploring the gaps. The countryside is very rural and scenic. Start at Washington Monument state park for the exhibit on the battle and to pick up a brochure/guide (or get hold of one of the several good guidebooks first). Also take time to walk up to the Washington monument for the view. Drive around Fox and Turnee gaps and then head south a few miles to Camptons Gap and the Correspondents monuments. It's a great visit in good weather.
I agree 100%, DRW!

Andrew

Corporal
Yes, it is well worth the trip and there are plenty of things to see. I found a free podcast/tour narrated by Dennis Frye on the Civil War Traveler site and used that for the trip. It can be found here: http://www.civilwartraveler.com/audio/podcasts.html. It's the second or third podcast listed.

In addition to what others have mentioned, definitely make the short hike to see the NC monument at Fox's Gap.

NC monument.jpg

KLSDAD

First Sergeant
You can hike the App. Trail between the two northernmost gaps.....( Fox and Turner's right?). It's only a mile or two .... I did it before breakfast one morning. I believe that there is historical significance along the ridge between the two gaps..... sorry that I don't have the specifics at the moment

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Featured Book Reviewer
I loved it. Also, I like to pass through Burkitsville on the way. No museums, but it give a good idea of an 1860s village.

You need to read up before you go to South Mountain to get anything out of it.

I loved it. Also, I like to pass through Burkitsville on the way. No museums, but it give a good idea of an 1860s village.

You need to read up before you go to South Mountain to get anything out of it.
Great point. In fact I just ordered the Civil War trust recommended book on South Mountain so I'm going to come loaded for bear for sure thank you

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)