Is there buried treasure in the Lee statue in Richmond?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

NH Civil War Gal

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Time capsules (though this isn't specifically that) were made to be opened. If it could be done without damaging anything, go for it. But if it is like the few recently opened in New England over the past couple of years, the treasure will be newspaper articles, money, stuff like that.

AndyHall

Colonel
But if it is like the few recently opened in New England over the past couple of years, the treasure will be newspaper articles, money, stuff like that.
Yep. The things that we think are important and interesting today, to preserve for future generations, are likely not going to be very interesting (at all) to people 50, 100, or 300 years from now.

Last edited:

diane

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Naw, it's got to be that invisible letter of Lee's to the invisible empire - only place it could be since nobody's seen it! Either that or it's the fabled Confederate gold...don't think they had much left to hide so a shoe box might do it... :wink:

Another picture of Lincoln's coffin would indeed be interesting - there was one taken somewhere along the funeral route besides the one Stanton took. Think Stanton got ahold of it but who knows...maybe he didn't get all the copies.

Myself, I'd just as soon let the capsule mellow a few more decades.

mofederal

Captain
I thought it was an interesting story. I would like to know more about it. it could be something of real importance, or just moon dust, or real dust. I would prefer to find the CSS Texas. Now that sorta made sense in a Clive Cussler universe.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!