Uniforms Is there any known uniform with this one it?

Ethan S.

First Sergeant
NSTCW22szg.jpg

This is my prized possesion, the first military button I have ever dug. What is also super ultra magnum rare about it, is that J.E.B. Stuart and his staff visited the house that I dug this button at three times during the war. The possibility of this being off of one of his staff officers coats is unbelievable, but I have some questions.

Is there any known uniform with this button on it?

Is there any known photographs of a soldier wearing a coat with this on it?

View attachment 332488

This is my prized possesion, the first military button I have ever dug. What is also super ultra magnum rare about it, is that J.E.B. Stuart and his staff visited the house that I dug this button at three times during the war. The possibility of this being off of one of his staff officers coats is unbelievable, but I have some questions.

JEB is a distant relative of mine. Do you have a photo of the house?

Last edited:
We know all there is know about this button as the young man posted it after he dug. What he trying to determine is have we ever seen a uniform or photo of someone wearing a coat with this button. Due to its location and the fact that JEB was there he is trying to see if maybe its from one of his staff which is a stretch but you never know. IMHO the button above is a CS staff officer buttons for lower grade staff, major or Lt. Col as MOST of the time when you made Col you got you a new set of uniforms with the big ole droop wing eagle CS staff officers buttons.
1572829148253.png

We know all there is know about this button as the young man posted it after he dug. What he trying to determine is have we ever seen a uniform or photo of someone wearing a coat with this button. Due to its location and the fact that JEB was there he is trying to see if maybe its from one of his staff which is a stretch but you never know. IMHO the button above is a CS staff officer buttons for lower grade staff, major or Lt. Col as MOST of the time when you made Col you got you a new set of uniforms with the big ole droop wing eagle CS staff officers buttons.

To say it is from Jeb's staff is a stretch, but it is cool to think about. I've just been looking for months on end for a uniform with these buttons on it, to no avail.

I talked to another digger who found one of these buttons, and he said, that these were custom made buttons, from a Virginia button maker for possibly a small group of officers as a single order. I'm not sure about that, but because there are about 40 known, that's not too far a stretch.

that these were custom made buttons, from a Virginia button maker
They did not setup button dies for just a few. Granted it is a VERY Rare button, his story of CUSTOM made is a little out there. Did you ever post the back of this button in your other thread?

They did not setup button dies for just a few. Granted it is a VERY Rare button, his story of CUSTOM made is a little out there. Did you ever post the back of this button in your other thread?

The back has a smooshed shank, but it's covered in dirt. I never cleaned it.

That makes sense about the custom order thing. Questions, questions...

The back has a smooshed shank, but it's covered in dirt. I never cleaned it.

That makes sense about the custom order thing. Questions, questions...
Is it a one piece button post a photo of the back please and I might be able to tell you who made it.

View attachment 332488

Certainly can't say for sure, but looks to be field cast, especially since it is a one piece button. Can you tell what material it is made? Since it is not convex and appears flat, it looks to be a copy of a CS233A1 (Tice), not die struck, but field cast.

Last edited:
It is flat, but I believe it is that way because it was squashed.

The back has what looks like a smooshed shank, but I'm not entirely sure. It is brass.

View attachment 332602

View attachment 332603
Seeing the back, now leads me to believe that this was smashed contemporary with the period, either by a wagon or artillery piece, even by a horse hoof. Your button does appear to be a CS233A1 that was once concave but flattened.

Extremely nice find!

Seeing the back, now leads me to believe that this was smashed contemporary with the period, either by a wagon or artillery piece, even by a horse hoof. Your button does appear to be a CS233A1 that was once concave but flattened.

Extremely nice find!

I hope you don't mind my asking, but what points it to looking like CS233A1?

Yes, and now some time to pull out the photos of all the confederate troops that may have the appropriate article! I think Rossiter Johnson's 'Campfires and Battlefields' had a bunch of photos, but now I am not sure which book it may be found; Miller's?
Lubliner.

Yes, and now some time to pull out the photos of all the confederate troops that may have the appropriate article! I think Rossiter Johnson's 'Campfires and Battlefields' had a bunch of photos, but now I am not sure which book it may be found; Miller's?
Lubliner.

So there is a photo of a uniform with this button on it somewhere?

So there is a photo of a uniform with this button on it somewhere?
I am terrible at identification, my eye always missing pertinent details. I was presuming the button could be found among the numerous photos that were collected historically. But do not dash your hopes, for so much now can still be discovered.
Lubliner.

Back