Restricted Is there an organized effort to get rid of Confederate symbols?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cash

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
You are biting your own tail. All facts are interpreted by whomever reads them.

The fact remains the fact, whether someone interprets things correctly or not. You could have a blue car that I interpret to be green. It doesn't change the fact that it's a blue car and my interpretation is erroneous and not factual.

cash

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
I conclude from this thread there is no organized effort to get rid of confederate symbols.

That's the fact, Jack.

stripes155.jpeg.jpg

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Retired Moderator
Clearly there is no concentrated effort by the govt or anyone else to remove these symbols... or they wouldn't be easily found on the net or easily uploaded to this site. Some think such use of the CBF appropriate... others mileage varies.

Attachments

• 120308_EX_kkk_jpg_CROP_rectangle3-large.jpg
    120308_EX_kkk_jpg_CROP_rectangle3-large.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 346

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Retired Moderator
The difference is that you will find a plethera of people offended by the klan etc using the US flag... you won't see a certain couple of posters here offended by the use of the CBF. A segment of southern society allowed the CBF to be coopted by hate groups and when the good men in the mix realized what had happened it was too late. I'd like to think it may not be too late when I deal w/ men like bama or the late Larry and many others but then I run across those who see nothing wrong in their use by specific groups... at least I've never seen them condemn their use instead I watch them quote the Nazi Propoganda minister... in which case I can't help but start whistling: "Hitler has only got one ball..."

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Honored Fallen Comrade
Robtweb1 was kind enough to provide the above.

I have highlighted in blue and underlined the section of the above where it states that the NAACP have committed their legal resources to removing the CBF "from all public properties."

As far as I can determine from the posts from various forum members, this is the only national organization who is engaged in an organized effort to rid a certain Confederate symbol "from all public properties."

Are there any more national organizations who have a stated aim of an organized effort to get rid of confederate symbols?

Unionblue

It’s so sad that there is so much combativeness about other people’s symbols – I don’t think Dr. King would approve. One can only imagine the outrage and umbrage of those demanding the removal of Confederate symbols from public property if there suddenly arose a counter demand for removal of civil right symbols from public property.

"Not one time did Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr. put down the
Confederate Flag. He wanted blacks and whites to sit and eat together. I
asked Dr. Young, one of King's closest friends, what his feelings were
about that flag. He said, Leave it alone. Let's do something about the
things we can do something about, like our children selling drugs on the
street. King could never have brought us all together the way he did--
if he had put down the (Confederate) Flag." –

H.K EDGERTON

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
It’s so sad that there is so much combativeness about other people’s symbols – I don’t think Dr. King would approve. One can only imagine the outrage and umbrage of those demanding the removal of Confederate symbols from public property if there suddenly arose a counter demand for removal of civil right symbols from public property.

"Not one time did Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr. put down the
Confederate Flag. He wanted blacks and whites to sit and eat together. I
asked Dr. Young, one of King's closest friends, what his feelings were
about that flag. He said, Leave it alone. Let's do something about the
things we can do something about, like our children selling drugs on the
street. King could never have brought us all together the way he did--
if he had put down the (Confederate) Flag." –

H.K EDGERTON

CSA Today,

The only consistent outrage and umbrage I can ever detect about the removal of confederate symbols is that of those who loudly proclaim such. I see "heritage violations" and "flaggers" and large amounts of dollars being spent on huge Confederate flags placed beside busy freeways and marches against supposed outrages far more than I see a concentrated, ongoing, organized effort to remove confederate symbols.

I have carried a Confederate flag more than once in a parade, helped display Confederate flags in school presentations, I own a Confederate flag which I keep in my den at home. Not once has anyone complained, taken it from my hands, nor has it been banned in my presentations. I can only speak for Central Ohio, but if there is an organized attempt to suppress or get rid of Confederate symbols or monuments here in the state, I have heard nothing of it.

But the only time I seem to hear the loudest about such violations or attempts are in the Southern states, where the complaints about such seem the loudest or that monuments are in danger. The more I view it, the more it seems to me such claims are more a reaction at the lack of attention given these "violations" by the majority of the people in the South.

Again, in my view, the cry of "WOLF!" over and over again is getting the response that such repeats entail.

If you have evidence that shows otherwise, please present it.

I'll wait.

Unionblue

As for H.K. Edgerton, well, his opinion is his own and I have little confidence in it being correct, but that's just me.

Battalion

Banned
The difference is that you will find a plethera of people offended by the klan etc using the US flag... you won't see a certain couple of posters here offended by the use of the CBF. A segment of southern society allowed the CBF to be coopted by hate groups and when the good men in the mix realized what had happened it was too late. I'd like to think it may not be too late when I deal w/ men like bama or the late Larry and many others but then I run across those who see nothing wrong in their use by specific groups... at least I've never seen them condemn their use instead I watch them quote the Nazi Propoganda minister... in which case I can't help but start whistling: "Hitler has only got one ball..."
Wow...

Ku-Klux in Minnesota-

"They marched up the church aisle to the strains of "Onward, Christian Soldiers" dressed in their trademark white robes and conical-shaped hats. At their head was a man carrying an American flag."
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2010/01/22/klan-minnesota

Red Harvest

2nd Lieutenant
One could of course post George Wallace photos with the CBF. I've read that his all-white state troopers had CBF insignia on their patches as well. The unfortunate thing is that Wallace didn't represent the fringe. He was a southern populist who knew which buttons to push with his white constituents.

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Retired Moderator
Wow...

Ku-Klux in Minnesota-

"They marched up the church aisle to the strains of "Onward, Christian Soldiers" dressed in their trademark white robes and conical-shaped hats. At their head was a man carrying an American flag."
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2010/01/22/klan-minnesota

Gotta love freedom of speech, I know you're not keen on it, but as much as I despise the klan & their surrogates for the despicable cowards they are they have a right to be as twisted as they want to. And I have a right to call it as I see it, after all if the sheet fits they should have the courage to wear it w/ pride.

Status
Not open for further replies.