Restricted Is there a possibility that all Confederate Statues and Monuments will be removed from Gettysburg

PapaReb

First Sergeant
We’re missing the “big picture” here guys. It’s not just the battlefield monuments that are in danger, in the long run it is/are the battlefield parks themselves. If only one side of the combatants is represented, what’s the point? If the removal takes place it will dramatically decrease the financial resources necessary to maintain the parks and facilities. With a decrease in tourism and public interest the powers that are in control would consider the financial drain to sustain the parks unwarranted and could very well be inclined to simply close down or remove them from the National Parks Services. I know these are dire predictions but just a couple of decades ago no one would have foreseen what is happening today. This is only the beginning of the movement to cancel much of the country’s visible history.

John Winn

Major
You're quite correct in saying that section only "dictates removal" as it says "the National Park Service shall remove from display". Provided that is achieved then other laws would impact on whether they are preserved or not. I doubt the NPS can frustrate the process for years as Section 442 is quite specific - they have "180 days" to do it.
I think that removing them and displaying them somewhere else lessens their impact and worth. Some, like the informational marker I referred to in Post #249, are virtually meaningless once removed from their locations.

As for funding, it is an Appropriations bill so I presume that the NPS must comply with Section 442 using the funds made available to them by that same instrument. I would have thought that generally these laws that fund government agencies are usually passed without too much trouble except perhaps minor changes to some wording. [I could be thinking incorrectly in that as your political process may differ greatly from Australia in this respect - the only time our Senate refused to pass such an Act was in 1975 and that led to a major constitutional crisis.]

Given what is allowed to happen to statues etc. in places other than NPS battle parks I would be rather surprised if more than half the US Senate pointedly refused to pass an Appropriations bill because they wanted to support the retention of "Confederate commemorative works, such as statues, monuments, sculptures, memorials, and plaques".
I think it will become law but don't bother sending me the $10 if I'm correct, I hope I am wrong.
Yes, but they'll likely not be provided additional funding. If actually passed, the NPS will have to divert money from other projects to fund the removal. So, our parks - and park employees - will be hurt by this. The NPS already has a long-time backlog of infrastructure fixes they can't get funded. And there's a long tradition of passing what are called "unfunded mandates." These are often directed toward state governments but can be directed toward federal agencies. This could be one of those times if passed. If so, it won't happen just because there's no money to pay for it (again - Ronald Reagan and the EPA is a classic example).

I'm a DOI (but not NPS) retiree and am familiar with the budget process. It's often a mess and land-management agencies are generally under-funded.

Quaama

Sergeant
https://www.rollcall.com/2020/12/23/confederate-monuments-at-national-parks-get-reprieve/ This is a fairly recent article I found while browsing the internet. It is clear to me that the removal of the Confederate monuments is very high on the list of certain elected officials in Washington.

I see that article quotes your current President (President-elect at the time of the quote) as saying:
“I think all those Confederate monuments to Confederate soldiers and generals, etc., who strongly supported secession and the maintenance of slavery and going to war to do it, I think those statues belong in museums,” Biden said at the time. “They don’t belong in public places.”
I don't know of anything that would indicate he would change his mind so they will go. It does seem an odd statement as surely museums are also "public places". Also, it doesn't seem likely that even if they wanted them that existing museums could fit all those monuments and other things within their walls - there's a lot. Additionally, once they are removed from their current locations (as mentioned in Post #313) their impact and worth is lessened, whether that current location is Gettysburg, Monument Avenue Richmond or elsewhere.

Quaama

Sergeant
Yes, but they'll likely not be provided additional funding. If actually passed, the NPS will have to divert money from other projects to fund the removal. So, our parks - and park employees - will be hurt by this. The NPS already has a long-time backlog of infrastructure fixes they can't get funded. And there's a long tradition of passing what are called "unfunded mandates." These are often directed toward state governments but can be directed toward federal agencies. This could be one of those times if passed. If so, it won't happen just because there's no money to pay for it (again - Ronald Reagan and the EPA is a classic example).

I'm a DOI (but not NPS) retiree and am familiar with the budget process. It's often a mess and land-management agencies are generally under-funded.

Yes, money will have to be diverted.
It'll be a big loss for most: less money for other NPS things; the battle parks less interesting places to visit; less visitors to those parks; less income for the NPS and many other businesses that benefit from their existence as they are now.

I see that article quotes your current President (President-elect at the time of the quote) as saying:
“I think all those Confederate monuments to Confederate soldiers and generals, etc., who strongly supported secession and the maintenance of slavery and going to war to do it, I think those statues belong in museums,” Biden said at the time. “They don’t belong in public places.”
I don't know of anything that would indicate he would change his mind so they will go. It does seem an odd statement as surely museums are also "public places". Also, it doesn't seem likely that even if they wanted them that existing museums could fit all those monuments and other things within their walls - there's a lot. Additionally, once they are removed from their current locations (as mentioned in Post #313) their impact and worth is lessened, whether that current location is Gettysburg, Monument Avenue Richmond or elsewhere.
That does seem double speak to say they belong in museums instead of public spaces........ obviously most were intended to be outdoors not indoors.

And wouldn't that then apply to other war monuments as well?

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I wonder if they will start to attack Revolutionary War sites and War of 1812? They seem to want all gone.

Just look this week, 6 Dr. Seuss books are gone. They said they were racist and made fun of people. They been after the Little Prairie books too. It is all insane.

I love Dr. Seuss books. I always read them and read them to my children and grandchildren.

Sorry some off subject. But it is this counter culture.