Is there a good overview of the war with 10 to 15 major battles? Edited

I know that there are many very good books that go into great detail about the war but I'm wondering if anybody knows of an overview or summary that gives the big picture with perhaps 10 to 15 major battles?

Also, what ten to fifteen battles should be included to get a really good overview of the big picture?

My goal is to provide my grandchildren, who are not students of the war, with an overview. Thus, since most Americans have heard of some of the major battles, I believe that including the majors is important.

Last edited:
I think it's important to remember the war (and any war) is about more than just battles.

I would say the bare minimum list would be:
First Bull Run
Shiloh
Antietam
Vicksburg
Gettysburg
Chickamauga
Chattanooga
Appomattox

From there, rounding out a Top 15 becomes really debatable. Especially with situations like the Atlanta Campaign and March to the Sea where there is no single battle I would put in my Top 20, but as a campaign were incredibly important. Ditto Shenandoah 1862 and 1864.

My goal is to provide my grandchildren, who are not students of the war, with an overview.

How old are we talking about?

Vote Here:
The grandkids are young men which makes me an old one.
In that case, I’d stick with the first two comments by @John Winn & myself. If they really have no introduction to the war and are of a romantic bent, Shelby Foote’s narrative reads like a novel and you can almost hear the moonlight and magnolia, Boston clamor, and Mid-West sensibility dripping off of the page. It’s an all encompassing intro.

Vote Here:
Back