Is The West Point Statue Of Major General John Sedgwick Haunted?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
1615388368883.png

If a West Point cadet wearing their full parade dress gray over white uniform under arms, then spin the rowels of the spurs on the boots of the statue of MG Sedgwick at exactly midnight, then the cadet with have good luck on his or her final exam. I am not sure why this tradition started and I am not sure Sedgwick was a particularly lucky general. This makes me wonder if his monument is haunted. If so then cadets have to go through a lot to win Sedgwick's good luck on their final exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying to imagine what kind of monument would have detail to the point that the rowels on the spurs would be movable, and would not have been worn out/broken from decades of cadets doing this? Smells like BS to me. YMMV.

At my OCS we had a cemetary where little white crosses with the names of cadets who had resigned or been dismissed painted on the crosses. When had a white cross without a name and legend was you were to march to the cemetary at midnight and salute the little flag before you took a big test so that your name would not magically appear on the cross the next morning. I never did this and never failed any tests. I did off and on visit the little cemetery at night and pay my respect to my "dead" friends, but never do so at midnight.

Image (3).jpg

If a West Point cadet wearing their full parade dress gray over white uniform under arms, then spin the rowels of the spurs on the boots of the statue of MG Sedgwick at exactly midnight, then the cadet with have good luck on his or her final exam. I am not sure why this tradition started and I am not sure Sedgwick was a particularly lucky general. This makes me wonder if his monument is haunted. If so then cadets have to go through a lot to win Sedgwick's good luck on their final exam.
Trying to imagine what kind of monument would have detail to the point that the rowels on the spurs would be movable, and would not have been worn out/broken from decades of cadets doing this? Smells like BS to me. YMMV.
Unlikely as it may sound, I've been aware of this tradition - minus the part about midnight - ever since 1958 when it was mentioned in this Dell comic, Cadet Gray of West Point, which I have featured before in the forums:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/stonewall-jackson-at-chancellorsville-in-comics.132016/

Back