First Bull Run Is the Office of the Chief of Military History Wrong ?

unicornforge

First Sergeant
Reference is a book titled, "American Military History, Army Historical Series", Office of the Chief of Military History, United States Army, Washington, D.C., 1969, Maurice Mailoff, General Editor. Page 200.

"Brig. Gen. Barnard E. Bee's brigade was pushed back from its advanced position toward the flat-crested hill behind the Henry House, where Jackson's newly arrived brigade had formed. In rallying his routed troops, Bee shouted: 'Look at Jackson's Brigade; it stands like a stone wall! Rally behind the Virginians!' ) Out of these words came the nickname that Jackson would carry to his grave..."

Those sentences appear to be a great deal different than I have ever read anywhere. According to this book Bee was referring to Jackson's brigade not Jackson, and Bee sounds like he was alluding to Jackson's brigade as a place to rally that was as good as behind a stone wall. And according to this book Jackson's men had recently arrived and formed thus just getting ready to do battle.

Attachments show the cover page as well as page 200.

Army History Text cover sheet.jpg Army History Text stonewall c.jpg Army History Text stonewall b.jpg

It would become the Stonewall Brigade, after all.

Yes, he was referring to the brigade. When Bee says, "There stands Jackson like a stone wall," he's referring to the brigade under Jackson. A single man cannot resemble a stone wall, but a brigade can.

It would become the Stonewall Brigade, after all.

Yes, he was referring to the brigade. When Bee says, "There stands Jackson like a stone wall," he's referring to the brigade under Jackson. A single man cannot resemble a stone wall, but a brigade can.

Please look closely at the quote from the book, its not the same as your quote.

Quote, "In rallying his routed troops, Bee shouted: 'Look at Jackson's Brigade; it stands like a stone wall! Rally behind the Virginians!'

Please look closely at the quote from the book, its not the same as your quote.

Quote, "In rallying his routed troops, Bee shouted: 'Look at Jackson's Brigade; it stands like a stone wall! Rally behind the Virginians!'

There have been a couple renditions of the quote, depending on who recorded their memory of hearing it. The gist is still the same. When Bee says, according to some, "Rally behind the Virginians," it's further evidence he's speaking of the brigade and not the man.

Hmm. I’ve always heard this incident was the origin of the General’s name, as if he had not been there, neither would the Virginians.
I never thought of it this other way.

Reference is a book titled, "American Military History, Army Historical Series", Office of the Chief of Military History, United States Army, Washington, D.C., 1969, Maurice Mailoff, General Editor. Page 200.

"Brig. Gen. Barnard E. Bee's brigade was pushed back from its advanced position toward the flat-crested hill behind the Henry House, where Jackson's newly arrived brigade had formed. In rallying his routed troops, Bee shouted: 'Look at Jackson's Brigade; it stands like a stone wall! Rally behind the Virginians!' ) Out of these words came the nickname that Jackson would carry to his grave..."

Those sentences appear to be a great deal different than I have ever read anywhere. According to this book Bee was referring to Jackson's brigade not Jackson, and Bee sounds like he was alluding to Jackson's brigade as a place to rally that was as good as behind a stone wall. And according to this book Jackson's men had recently arrived and formed thus just getting ready to do battle.

Attachments show the cover page as well as page 200.

View attachment 182047 View attachment 182048 View attachment 182049
None of us knows for sure what Bee said.
However, in the midst of battle, it certainly seems most likely that he was economical in his words, whatever he said. I believe it is far more likely that he said, "There stands Jackson like a stone wall!" than "Look at Jackson's Brigade; it stands like a stone wall!"

I remember one claim that Bee really meant "There stands Jackson like a stone wall -- not doing a d*mn thing!"

Adding your own "context" to a quote is fun ... you see it around here all the time.

I remember one claim that the Union Army performed at Bull Run, both times, despite General Jackson. :nah disagree:

Back