1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Is the history of USCT under discussed?

Discussion in 'Civil War History - General Discussion' started by major bill, Feb 14, 2017.

1. major bill

major bill Captain Forum Host

In the last decade, at long last, historians are starting to include USCT in Civil War history. But is the contribution of United State Colored Troops sill under represented? We are talking about 175 black regiments raised during the war. The Union Army did not have 175 Irish Regiments or German Regiments, but both are often discussed.

flag gg.png

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Drew

Drew Captain

Well, it's been nearly 30 years since the Hollywood Blockbuster, Glory, so I don't know it's accurate to say this hasn't been discussed. CWT's own @James N. was actually in the movie, if you want to ask him about it.

Further discussion is welcome, but suggestion there hasn't been much is really not very accurate. I suppose it's all relative.

SquirrelHudson and James N. like this.
  4. major bill

How many new statues have been erected honoring the USTC in the last 10 years? I do not know this and welcome someone tell us. How often were the USCT honored during the 150th remembrance celebrations? There have be a few new books about the USCT published.

Anna Elizabeth Henry and kepi like this.
  5. DixieRifles

DixieRifles 1st Lieutenant

I have to admit that I don't know much about ALL those 170+ regiments. However, from what I gather, most of the USCT regiments were employed with duties that kept them off the front lines. A small fraction of them participated in major battles---when you considered there were 175 regiments. I don't think many authors write books about a garrison on some lonely river fort some 300 miles behind the lines.
    But if I'm wrong then I guess you have made your point. I have been researching some of the regiments and individual soldiers so I'm not ignoring them. I still feel like I've a lot to learn.

I hope that made sense with that.
    {Edited}
    I guess it is like asking: Is the History of the Home Guard units under discussed?
    There just isn't much out there about them.

Youngblood, Joshism and leftyhunter like this.
  6. DixieRifles

How many have taken the Metro subway a few extra stops north of the Mall to visit the African-American Civil War Memorial??

I did.

James N. likes this.
  7. major bill

Black History Month would be a good time to give the USCT a look. A lot of black history will be presented this month and the USCT should get a bit of the lime light.

damYankee likes this.
  8. leftyhunter

leftyhunter Captain

@huskerblitz had a thread on the first black regiment which was a state not federal regiment. The First Kansas Coloured Infantry was the only black COIN regiment in the Tans Mississippi.
    Leftyhunter

9. huskerblitz

huskerblitz 1st Lieutenant Forum Host

It would be great to get more USCT troops started in the Regimental Histories forum. I've been swamped the past couple of weeks to delve into them but will try this weekend.

major bill likes this.
  10. Pat Young

Pat Young Colonel Forum Host

Yes.

StephenColbert27 and major bill like this.
  11. Pat Young

I don't think it should be a competititon between marginalized groups. Frankly, immigrants in the war are little discussed and little understood.

12. major bill

Well I could see how many forum threads are about USCT. We seem to have some threads on Fort Pillow and perhaps a few threads on the Battle of the Crater, but not sure we discuss the USCT as regiments or even as individuals. Perhaps I am wrong about this.

13. Pat Young

No you are not wrong about this.

14. DixieRifles

The one thing that puzzles me is how could someone who could an ex-slave transition from a cruel master to the rudimentary discipline of the US Army?
    No one has a real idea of what life was like as a slave. And all experiences were not the same. The transition to life in the Army could be difficult; not necessarily physically but mentally. For other ex-slaves, the Army life must have seemed like a summer camp.
    If you read the service records of the individual USCT soldiers, you might begin to see how many struggled under their new master-servant role. Discipline seemed to be a real problem. This could have been the result of boredom in a regiment that was not in active duty. Hollywood seems to portray the USCT soldier as an orphan needing a home, purpose and respect and their only enemy was the Army establishment.
    Or was it more complicated than that?

leftyhunter and Pat Young like this.
  15. Pat Young

16. leftyhunter

leftyhunter Captain

We have a thread on the USCT getting some payback for Ft.Pillow in a battle against a fort in Texas in 1865. I forgot the name of the battle.General Thomas thought highly of his USCT troops.
    Leftyhunter

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    major bill likes this.
  17. major bill

Although some of the reports may have some political bias, most Union Generals thought eh USCT under them served honorably.

leftyhunter likes this.
  18. leftyhunter

leftyhunter Captain

I am going to eventually check out USCT regiments on Dyers Compendium to see if any were active COIN regiments. As mentioned most were involve in static defense which is a major component of COIN war.
    Leftyhunter

19. Pat Young

I did a Google N-Gram Search of mentions of the United States Colored Troops in books. usct ngram.JPG

20. Legion Para

Legion Para Brigadier General Moderator Forum Host

21. major bill

The mentions of the United States Colored Troops in books has seemed to have leveled off. I do see USCT discussed in a fair amount of government sponsored publications.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)