Is the Abbeville Institute a Reliable Source for Information Related to the Civil War?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duncan

Sergeant
Probably the most admirable characteristic about The SOL is the manner in which they carry on and advance the rich intellectual Southern tradition bequeathed to them by men like Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, St. George Tucker, John Calhoun, Alexander Stephens, and Jefferson Davis.

Andersonh1

Major
I'm likely to buy "How Alexander Hamilton screwed up America", sounds like an interesting read.
It is a very interesting book, well worth your time to read. McClanahan has a different perspective on US history than many other historians, and has some ideas about Hamilton worth consideration. His "Nine Presidents Who Screwed Up America" is also good "food for thought", where his standard is "how closely did they follow the Constitutional duties and limitations for the President?".

Last edited:

Viper21

Brigadier General
Any organization that would be associated with anyone from the league of the south or any white nationalists/neo-Nazi group is emphatically NOT a reliable source of information on the civil war.
So, somebodies personal politics, discredit them from providing info, or perspective on the war..? Interesting. Seems that knife could cut more than one way.

Last edited:

uaskme

2nd Lieutenant
Here’s a couple quotes from Dr. Wilson. I’ll let the members of the board determine if they are racists or not.

"We don't want the federal government telling us what to do, pushing integration down our throats... We're tired of carpetbagging professionals coming to our campuses and teaching that the South is a cultural wasteland” Gentleman’s Quarterly 1998

"established forces of 'American' society have been promoting the glory of the non-white and the foreign for two generations now." Wilson, Clyde (November 5, 2008). "The Revolution Is". Chronicles

“Remember that since 1965 our elections have been controlled by commissars from the U.S. Justice Department—an oppression carried by the votes (several times repeated) of "conservative" Republicans. One of the highest comedic points of 20th century American politics came in the mid-sixties when the windbag Republican leader, Senator Dirksen of Illinois, announced his support for the second Reconstruction of the South. It seems that during a lonely midnight stroll in the deserted Capitol, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln appeared to the Senator and instructed him how to vote.” Wilson, Clyde 2007 LewRockwell.com

And here’s what the Anti-defamation League says about the League of the South.
Ideology:
Openly racist and anti-Semitic, the League of the South espouses white supremacist ideology and southern nationalism, advocating for an independent southern nation devoid of Jews and other minorities. Hill wrote in a March 2018 social media post that ridding the south of Jews and their influence is the “foundational concern that must be taken care of before anything else.”

Any organization that would be associated with anyone from the league of the south or any white nationalists/neo-Nazi group is emphatically NOT a reliable source of information on the civil war.
LOL

Philip Leigh

formerly Harvey Johnson
Here’s a couple quotes from Dr. Wilson. I’ll let the members of the board determine if they are racists or not.

"We don't want the federal government telling us what to do, pushing integration down our throats... We're tired of carpetbagging professionals coming to our campuses and teaching that the South is a cultural wasteland” Gentleman’s Quarterly 1998.
Does anyone have this quote in its full context? I tried to find it but could not.

I found the excerpt exactly as it is quoted above in two places. One is in Living Blue in the Red States by David Starkey. The other place is the Wikipedia, which seems to be where Starkey got it since he provides no footnote citing his source. The Wikipedia cites The Southern Poverty Law Center as its source, but the link they provide is dead (Page not found). I then searched the SPLC website and could not find it.

I also searched under Gentlemen's Quarterly and GQ, but could not find it.

Finally, it's odd that the 1998 excerpt is cited as being from Gentlemen's Quarterly since the magazine was rebranded as GQ in 1967.

Last edited:

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l

"We don't want the federal government telling us what to do, pushing integration down our throats... We're tired of carpetbagging professionals coming to our campuses and teaching that the South is a cultural wasteland” Gentleman’s Quarterly 1998

"established forces of 'American' society have been promoting the glory of the non-white and the foreign for two generations now." Wilson, Clyde (November 5, 2008). "The Revolution Is". Chronicles

“Remember that since 1965 our elections have been controlled by commissars from the U.S. Justice Department—an oppression carried by the votes (several times repeated) of "conservative" Republicans. One of the highest comedic points of 20th century American politics came in the mid-sixties when the windbag Republican leader, Senator Dirksen of Illinois, announced his support for the second Reconstruction of the South. It seems that during a lonely midnight stroll in the deserted Capitol, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln appeared to the Senator and instructed him how to vote.” Wilson, Clyde 2007 LewRockwell.com

I haven't heard this before, sounds like something from the SPLC or the phony Anti- Defamation League, I do

Ideology:
Openly racist and anti-Semitic, the League of the South espouses white supremacist ideology and southern nationalism, advocating for an independent southern nation devoid of Jews and other minorities. Hill wrote in a March 2018 social media post that ridding the south of Jews and their influence is the “foundational concern that must be taken care of before anything else.”

What would you suggest as the alternative?
I can think of many, many organizations and advocacy groups that I wouldn't want to be associated with but that would be getting into the verboten realm of modern politics.

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Does anyone have this quote in its full context? I tried to find it but could not.

I found the excerpt exactly as it is quoted above in two places. One is in Living Blue in the Red States by David Starkey. The other place is the Wikipedia, which seems to be where Starkey got it since he provides no footnote citing his source. The Wikipedia cites The Southern Poverty Law Center as its source, but the link they provide is dead (Page not found). I then searched the SPLC website and could not find it.

Finally, it's odd that the 1998 excerpt is cited as being from Gentlemen's Quarterly since the magazine was rebranded as GQ in 1967.
Ah, the Southern Poverty Law Center what a bunch of frauds.

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l

Ideology:

So, somebodies personal politics, discredit them from providing info, or perspective on the war..? Interesting. Seems that knife could cut more than one way.
Unfortunately, all too often Southerners aren't permitted to cut the other way.

Viper21

Brigadier General

I searched to no avail also. Interesting that anyone speaking about credibility would accept unverified quotes. I may be mistaken but, seems I've heard a time or two around here, that wikipedia is not a credible source :D If the SPLC's politics leaned the other direction, they wouldn't accept their opinion either.

Without a primary source, or other significant proof, the SPLC's claims are just conjecture, from known ideologues. You know... the same thing they, & their fans accuse those they disagree with of being. The goal being to completely discredit view points, or interpretations they disagree with. They like plenty of others, favor censorship based on ideology, not facts.

If someone doesn't like what Clyde Wilson has to say regarding Southern History fine. Make your case that he's wrong. The man has a PhD in history, & was a college history professor for years. I believe he's much more qualified on the subject of Southern History, than most.

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
Managing Member & Webmaster
So, reading through the latest posts in this thread, I've come to the conclusion that instead of actually debating the merits of this group as a source, many members are simply bashing this group because they disagree with some of the things they are associated with.

I find it arrogant that some members can't look at an academic paper, or even an amateur's research with documentation and make a determination on the merits of the argument based on the evidence provided, instead of looking back into the person's history, or the organization they may or may not be associated with, and going on a witch hunt.

I'm suspending this thread. I suggest you re-evaluate how you look at sources of information in the future, none of the sources we have from the past can be expected to meet our modern expectations, and you also can't expect people who hold a different point of view from you to hold the exact same beliefs that you do.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.